UK MOD explanation for black triangle UFO's

In summary: It is quite possible that this "report" is a hoax, or at least a misrepresentation of the actual report. The link given above by Russ provides a potential source for the "report", but without the actual document it is impossible to verify its authenticity. However, the explanation given in the Wikipedia post does seem highly implausible and not supported by any scientific evidence. It is also important to note that this is only one possible explanation mentioned in the document, and not necessarily the main conclusion. More research and evidence is needed before any definitive conclusions can be drawn.
jreelawg
UK Ministry of Defense Report Findings

"The UK Ministry of Defense report "UAP in the UK Air Defence Region[2] released to the public in 2006 draws several conclusions as to the origin of "Black Triangle" UFO sightings. Their researchers conclude that "Black Triangle" UFOs are formations of electrical plasma, the interaction of which creates mysterious energy fields that both refract light and produce hallucinations in witnesses that are in close proximity.
The report states: "Occasionally and perhaps exceptionally, it seems that a field with, as yet, undetermined characteristics, can exist between certain charged buoyant objects in loose formation, such that, depending on the viewing aspect, the intervening space between them forms an area (viewed as a shape, often triangular) from which the reflection of light does not occur. This is a key finding in the attribution of what have frequently been reported as black 'craft,' often triangular and even up to hundreds of feet in length." These plasma formations also have the effect through "magnetic, electric or electromagnetic (or even unknown field), appears to emanate from some of the buoyant charged masses. Local fields of this type have been medically proven to cause responses in the temporal lobes of the human brain. These result in the observer sustaining his or her own vivid, but mainly incorrect, description of what is experienced. This is suggested to be a key factor in influencing the more extreme reports found in the media and are clearly believed by the 'victims.'[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(UFO)It sounds kind of pseudo-scientific. Any thoughts about it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jreelawg said:

"The UK Ministry of Defense report "UAP in the UK Air Defence Region[2] released to the public in 2006 draws several conclusions as to the origin of "Black Triangle" UFO sightings. Their researchers conclude that "Black Triangle" UFOs are formations of electrical plasma, the interaction of which creates mysterious energy fields that both refract light and produce hallucinations in witnesses that are in close proximity.
The report states: "Occasionally and perhaps exceptionally, it seems that a field with, as yet, undetermined characteristics, can exist between certain charged buoyant objects in loose formation, such that, depending on the viewing aspect, the intervening space between them forms an area (viewed as a shape, often triangular) from which the reflection of light does not occur. This is a key finding in the attribution of what have frequently been reported as black 'craft,' often triangular and even up to hundreds of feet in length." These plasma formations also have the effect through "magnetic, electric or electromagnetic (or even unknown field), appears to emanate from some of the buoyant charged masses. Local fields of this type have been medically proven to cause responses in the temporal lobes of the human brain. These result in the observer sustaining his or her own vivid, but mainly incorrect, description of what is experienced. This is suggested to be a key factor in influencing the more extreme reports found in the media and are clearly believed by the 'victims.'[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_triangle_(UFO)

It sounds kind of pseudo-scientific. Any thoughts about it?

In order to be considered here, the suggested explanation would need to be published in a regular journal. This sounds more like wild speculation than a well-supported hypothesis.

I would bet that if anything, this was merely suggested as one possible explanation. Can anyone find the reference in the MOD documents linked?

Ivan Seeking said:
In order to be considered here, the suggested explanation would need to be published in a regular journal. This sounds more like wild speculation than a well-supported hypothesis.

I would bet that if anything, this was merely suggested as one possible explanation. Can anyone find the reference in the MOD documents linked?

I looked, and cannot find them... I have to say this explanation sounds very odd given my understanding of plasma. In fact, I think an experimental aircraft would be LESS odd than giant charged plasmas at atmospheric temps, which are stable for that long.

Ivan Seeking said:
This sounds more like wild speculation than a well-supported hypothesis.

Andre said:

Agree with both. Maybe not literally pigeons, but something similar. Lots of talk about cargo planes and how the reports have increased with the increase of military cargo shipments.

The summary does have a few omissions (which is always neat to find in declassified documents), but to be clear:

The Wikipedia posting is from "volume 2, paper 18" and expresses an incredibly unlikely explanation; many others are covered much more in depth.

It seems that the Wikipedia editor has selectively chosen his citation in this case. This was only given as a possible explanation if one "chose to actively disregard more likely explanations" (page 11 of the executive summary).

Last edited by a moderator:
jreelawg said:

The report states: "Occasionally and perhaps exceptionally, it seems that a field with, as yet, undetermined characteristics, can exist between certain charged buoyant objects in loose formation, such that, depending on the viewing aspect, the intervening space between them forms an area (viewed as a shape, often triangular) from which the reflection of light does not occur.

They can't possibly be serious... Is this report authentic? I can't imagine any rational government putting forth this sort of "explanation."

mugaliens said:
They can't possibly be serious... Is this report authentic? I can't imagine any rational government putting forth this sort of "explanation."

No kidding, in fact "aliens" is less absurd... I'd like to see an original of that report before I buy a word of THAT.

nismaratwork said:
No kidding, in fact "aliens" is less absurd... I'd like to see an original of that report before I buy a word of THAT.

Original reports were provided. I've read a few. I will reiterate from my earlier quote:

The Wikipedia posting is from "volume 2, paper 18" and expresses an incredibly unlikely explanation; many others are covered much more in depth.

It seems that the Wikipedia editor has selectively chosen his citation in this case. This was only given as a possible explanation if one "chose to actively disregard more likely explanations" (page 11 of the executive summary).

There's document after document of other explanations, but this one is only mentioned briefly in the executive summary and in one other location (that I could find).

Full disclosure: I did not read every single document available. There are... a lot.

1. What is the UK MOD's explanation for black triangle UFOs?

The UK Ministry of Defense (MOD) has stated that the majority of black triangle UFO sightings are likely to be attributed to man-made aircraft, such as stealth bombers or experimental military aircraft.

2. Are there any official reports or documents from the UK MOD regarding black triangle UFOs?

Yes, the UK MOD has released declassified documents and reports on black triangle UFO sightings, including the famous "Condign Report" which concluded that these sightings were likely due to misperceptions of natural and man-made objects.

3. Why are black triangle UFOs often described as silent and able to maneuver in ways that defy known physics?

This is likely due to the fact that black triangle UFOs often have advanced stealth technology and are able to fly at high altitudes where sound is not easily heard. Their seemingly impossible movements can also be attributed to advanced propulsion systems and advanced aerodynamics.

4. Have there been any sightings of black triangle UFOs by military personnel?

Yes, there have been numerous reports of black triangle UFOs by military personnel, including pilots and radar operators. These sightings have been investigated by the UK MOD and have often been explained as misperceptions or classified military aircraft.

5. Are there any theories about the origins of black triangle UFOs?

There are various theories about the origins of black triangle UFOs, including extraterrestrial visitations, secret military projects, and even hoaxes. However, there is no concrete evidence to support any of these theories and the UK MOD maintains that most sightings can be explained by man-made objects.