Unable to build a boost converter

In summary, David Lopez is trying to build a phase shift oscillator, and is having difficulty doing so. He may need to purchase an oscilloscope in order to help him understand the circuit.
Engineering news on Phys.org
David lopez said:
I have tried building a boost converter. It did not work. How do I get it to work? I used the circuit I found on wikipedia.
Which circuit did you construct? Please show your schematic with component values and part numbers.

It was the first circuit under circuit analysis that I saw. I don't know the inductance of the inductor I used.

David lopez said:
I have tried building a boost converter. It did not work. How do I get it to work?
I would recommend that you stick with the "Simple Switcher" series of DC-DC converters and support information as you learn the basics. There is a lot of great tutorial information published by National Semiconductor (now part of TI), and the parts can be purchased easily at Digikey.com

Helpful design information and calculator software:

http://www.ti.com/tool/SWITCHERSMADESIMPLE-SW?keyMatch=simple switcher&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything
Digikey search for parts, etc:

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=simple%20switcher

:smile:

• Love
Likes dlgoff and DaveE
I don't know what the simple switcher
Series of dc-dc converters is?

What are the basics. I tried studying the wikipedia article.

1) If you follow berkeman's link or search for "simple switcher" you can learn about these ICs. Sorry, some self study may be necessary.

2) The Wikipedia article is the basics. There are many other sources of information out there about switching power supplies.

3) These circuits can be a bit difficult to build if you don't have much experience building electronics. There is a lot of practical knowledge required to avoid problems (thinks like layout, proper component selection, bypass capacitors, cooling, etc.). They are also difficult to do if you aren't very familiar with how they are supposed to work. Trial and error isn't the best approach.

4) I suggest searching IC manufacturers like TI.com or Analog.com to learn more, they have lots of different tools (data sheets, application notes, simulators, reference designs, ...).

Can you tell me how to detect the voltage spike caused by an inductor on a breadboard? I really want to know.

David lopez said:
Can you tell me how to detect the voltage spike caused by an inductor on a breadboard? I really want to know.
99.999% of the time EEs will use an oscilloscope for this. If the spike is very quick you may need a pretty fast scope. Something like 100MHz bandwidth should be good enough for most circuits.

David lopez said:
I don't know the inductance of the inductor I used.
Could you please post a photo of your setup? That would help us a lot so we could adjust the level of our answers.

I have a very bad feeling that it'll contain a (mechanical) switch ... :nb)

Rive said:
I have a very bad feeling that it'll contain a (mechanical) switch
You mean like a car ignition circuit from the 1950's?
Let's not be condescending to someone learning new stuff. These are not unreasonable questions. There was a time when we had a hard time with circuits like this too.

Likes davenn
DaveE said:
These are not unreasonable questions. There was a time when we had a hard time with circuits like this too.
Agreed, but it is going to be hard to help @David lopez with questions like this until he gets at least a basic/cheap USB oscilloscope, IMO. It's one thing to try to learn about DC electronics with only a DVM and a soldering iron as tools, but it's much harder to experiment with building AC circuits (with response in the kHz+ range)...

From a different thread:

berkeman said:
If you do have an oscilloscope, draw the circuit diagram with the pin numbers shown on the opamp, and use the oscilloscope to probe each of the nodes in the circuit. Write down the DC voltage that you find at each node, and scan and attach that drawing to a reply here. That will help us a lot to guide you to get the circuit working.
David lopez said:
I don't have an oscilloscope. I use a
18650 Lithium ion cell as a power source. I am trying to get the phase shift oscillator to oscillate at all.

Aside from book learning, perhaps LTSpice is the next step. A free virtual oscilloscope.

Likes davenn
DaveE said:
There was a time when we had a hard time with circuits like this too.
Around the time I had ~ similar problems as the OP here I was happy with a 'boost converter' of mine which could fire a salvaged flash tube after pushing a small button a few times.

Ps.: that was one of my few 'successful' projects from that time:doh:

Last edited:

1. Why is my boost converter not working?

There could be several reasons why your boost converter is not working. Some common causes include incorrect wiring, faulty components, or incorrect input/output voltage levels. It is important to carefully follow the circuit design and double check all connections to troubleshoot the issue.

2. How do I choose the right components for a boost converter?

Choosing the right components for a boost converter depends on the desired output voltage and current, as well as the input voltage. It is important to select components with appropriate voltage and current ratings to avoid damaging the circuit. Additionally, selecting components with low internal resistance can improve efficiency and performance.

3. What is the purpose of a boost converter?

A boost converter is a type of DC-DC converter that increases the input voltage to a higher, desired output voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to power components that require a higher voltage than the available power source.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my boost converter?

Efficiency in a boost converter can be improved by using high-quality components with low internal resistance, minimizing voltage drops, and reducing switching losses. Additionally, proper circuit design and layout can also contribute to improving efficiency.

5. Can a boost converter be used for both step-up and step-down conversion?

No, a boost converter is only capable of step-up conversion, meaning it can only increase the input voltage to a higher output voltage. To achieve step-down conversion, a different type of DC-DC converter, such as a buck converter, would need to be used.