Unable to solve an approximation

In summary: Sorry for that.In summary, the conversation involves the speaker trying to understand an approximation in a solution manual for exercise 9.18-b. The approximation involves the variable k, which is equal to ω√(εμ/2) [√(1+(σ/εω)^2)-1]^(1/2). The speaker's attempt at solving the problem involved using the approximation (σ/εω)^2 ≈ σ^2 and simplifying the expression to get k=ω√(εμσ/2). However, this did not match the solution and the speaker was advised to use the approximation (σ/εω)^2 + 1 ≈ (σ/εω)^2
Kidiz

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand an approximation Griffiths does (in his solutions' manual - exercise 9.18-b) and I'm not quite getting it.
Let
$$k = \omega \sqrt{\dfrac{\epsilon \mu}{2}} [\sqrt{ 1 + (\dfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon \omega}})^2-1]^{1/2}$$

He says that, because ##\sigma >> \omega \epsilon##, we have:$$k = \sqrt{\dfrac {\mu \sigma \omega}{2}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Essentially, my attempt was to say that ##(\dfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon \omega})^2 \approx \sigma ^2##. After that, and since sigma >> 1, I'd say that ##\sqrt {1 + \sigma ^2} \approx \sigma##, and for the same reasoning ##\sigma -1 \approx \sigma##, which would make everything inside the straight brakets be ##\sqrt{\sigma}##. After all this, ##k## would be ##\omega \sqrt {\dfrac{\epsilon \mu \sigma}{2}}##. Now, sadly, that's no way near the solution I'm supposed to arrive.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kidiz said:
Essentially, my attempt was to say that ##(\dfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon \omega})^2 \approx \sigma ^2##.
That would correspond to ##\epsilon \omega \approx 1##. The approximation gives ##(\dfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon \omega})^2 \approx 1## which allows to simplify the expression.
You can use the same approximation for the first ω in the equation and then ignore some prefactor.

mfb said:
That would correspond to ##\epsilon \omega \approx 1##. The approximation gives ##(\dfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon \omega})^2 \approx 1## which allows to simplify the expression.
You can use the same approximation for the first ω in the equation and then ignore some prefactor.

I don't quite understand what you're saying. You're saying that ##(\dfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon \omega})^2 \approx 1## solves my problem? If so, I don't understand how, as it would eliminate my ##\omega ##.

If σ >> ωε then (σ/ωε) >>1.

And so (σ/ωε)2 +1 ≈ (σ/ωε)2

You'd then use your same reasoning however carrying the σ/ωε expression instead of just the σ.

Oh sorry, I read ##\approx## instead of >>. See the post above this how to do the approximation then.

rock.freak667 said:
If σ >> ωε then (σ/ωε) >>1.

And so (σ/ωε)2 +1 ≈ (σ/ωε)2

You'd then use your same reasoning however carrying the σ/ωε expression instead of just the σ.

Thank you! This works wonderfully. I wonder if there's a text somewhere that explains how to do this type of approximations or if one just picks them up as one goes.

mfb said:
Oh sorry, I read ##\approx## instead of >>. See the post above this how to do the approximation then.

That was my bad mfb, sorry. Initially, I had ##\approx##, but then edited and by mistake made it ##>>##, and then saw the error and edited again.

Related to Unable to solve an approximation

1. Why am I unable to solve an approximation?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to solve an approximation. It could be due to a lack of relevant data, incorrect assumptions, or a flawed methodology. It is important to carefully analyze your approach and identify any potential errors.

2. Can I use different methods to solve an approximation?

Yes, there are various methods available for solving approximations, such as numerical methods, calculus-based methods, and statistical methods. The choice of method depends on the nature of the problem and the available data.

3. What should I do if my approximation results are not accurate?

If your approximation results are not accurate, you may need to revisit your methodology and assumptions. It is also important to check for any errors in your calculations. Additionally, you can consider using a different method or obtaining more accurate data.

4. Is it necessary to solve approximations in scientific research?

Yes, approximations are often used in scientific research as they allow for simplification of complex problems and can provide useful insights. However, it is important to ensure that the approximations used are accurate and appropriate for the specific research question.

5. How can I validate the results of my approximation?

The best way to validate the results of an approximation is to compare them with known data or results from a more accurate method. Additionally, you can also perform sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of any assumptions made in the approximation.