Unanswered: Unraveling the Mystery of Extended Thinking

In summary: What are some other methods of manipulating pigmentation?Some other methods of manipulating pigmentation could be things like using light to change the pigment, using chemicals to change the pigment, using radiation to change the pigment, or using surgery to change the pigment.
This Is Me
Homework Statement
Many butterflies have colored wings due to pigmentation. In some, however, such as the morpho butterfly, the colors do not result from pigmentation and, when the wing is viewed from different angles, the colors change. Explain
Relevant Equations
(there are none)
This is an extended thinking portion in my textbook, and I would really like to know why this is. I'm not too sure what the answer to this is, and unfortunately, there is no answer to extended thinking in my textbook. I've been trying to figure this out for some time now and I'm completely stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does pigmentation work?

PeroK said:
How does pigmentation work?
Well in humans, skin gets its colour from a pigment called melanin which is made from special cells in the skin. And in animals, I believe they can actually manipulate it?

Have you googled "morpho butterfly" and had a quick read of the "coloration" section of the Wikipedia article? That'd be a good start and a lot faster than waiting for us to paraphrase it.

Likes phinds and berkeman
Ibix said:
Have you googled "morpho butterfly" and had a quick read of the "coloration" section of the Wikipedia article? That'd be a good start and a lot faster than waiting for us to paraphrase it.
I try not to google things, as that's not really what learning is about, but in this case, I guess I'll take a look.

This Is Me said:
I try not to google things, as that's not really what learning is about, but in this case, I guess I'll take a look.
I would say that reading what's already known is about half of what learning is about - nobody expects you to derive everything from scratch. The other half is stuff like evaluating sources, learning how to manipulate your knowledge and generating new ideas, of course.

Sure, if you cut and paste the wiki article into your homework you might as well not bother. But reading it and looking at some of the links (especially structural coloration) and maybe some of the sources (wiki can misrepresent them so it's worth checking), maybe asking us some follow up questions if you don't understand, then writing it up in your own words is exactly what you are supposed to do here, I would think.

Likes berkeman
"When [something] is viewed from different angles, the colors change" immediately brings Newton's double-prism experiment to mind...

This Is Me said:
Here of PF we PREFER that you start by doing some research yourself. This is not intended to be a simple Q&A forum where you ask questions and get answers, it is intended to help people who have made some effort on their own BEFORE coming here, if at all possible/reasonable.

This Is Me said:
Well in humans, skin gets its colour from a pigment called melanin which is made from special cells in the skin. And in animals, I believe they can actually manipulate it?
I was expecting an answer in terms of the properties of light.

This Is Me said:
I try not to google things, as that's not really what learning is about,
Since it comes under the textbook heading "extended thinking", I endorse that approach here.
Consider posts #7 and #9.

1. What is extended thinking?

Extended thinking refers to the process of using tools and external resources to enhance and extend one's own cognitive abilities. It involves using external aids, such as pen and paper or a computer, to help with problem-solving and decision-making tasks.

2. Why is extended thinking important?

Extended thinking allows individuals to solve complex problems and make decisions more efficiently and effectively. It also allows for the integration of different perspectives and the development of new ideas.

3. How does extended thinking differ from traditional problem-solving?

Traditional problem-solving typically involves using only one's own internal cognitive abilities to solve a problem. Extended thinking, on the other hand, involves using external resources to supplement and enhance one's own thinking process.

4. What are some examples of extended thinking in everyday life?

Examples of extended thinking in everyday life include using a calculator to solve math problems, using a map to navigate to a new location, and using a recipe to cook a new dish. These external aids help to extend our cognitive abilities and make tasks easier and more efficient.

5. How can extended thinking be applied in the field of science?

In science, extended thinking can be applied by using tools and technology to collect and analyze data, collaborating with other scientists to share and integrate ideas, and using external resources to aid in problem-solving and decision-making processes. This can lead to more innovative and effective scientific discoveries and advancements.