Unbounded or infinite would be more appropriate terms to use in this context.

I'm not entirely sure as it may be a typo or mistranslation. It could possibly mean "unlimited" or "infinite" as in the solutions will approach infinity as t approaches infinity.
carlosbgois

Homework Statement

Find the values of [itex]α[/itex] for which all the solutions of [itex]y''-(2α-1)y'+α(α-1)y=0[/itex] (a) tend to zero and (b) are ilimited, when [itex]t->∞[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]y''-(2α-1)y'+α(α-1)y=0 => (t)=Ae^{αt}+Be^{(α-1)t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that the general solution to the problem is [itex]y(t)=Ae^{αt}+Be^{(α-1)t}[/itex], which I believe is correct. Then I said that (a) is verified for [itex]t<1/2[/itex] and (b) for [itex]t>=1/2[/itex], but the book's answer is (a) [itex]t<0[/itex] and (b) [itex]t>1[/itex].

What am I missing?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As you wrote it, the question asks for values of ##\alpha##, not ##t##.
So it looks like your (and the book's) answer is for a different question.

##y(t)\rightarrow 0## for ##t\rightarrow \infty## when ##\alpha < 0## which makes y(t) a sum of decaying exponentials.

My mistake, I meant α where I said t. I understand what you said, but then what happens for 0<α<1 ?

Thanks

My mistake, I meant α where I said t. I understand what you said, but then what happens for 0<α<1 ?
Well then put that into y(t) ... you have two exponentials added together and ##\alpha## appears in the power.

What does "ilimited" mean?

Related to Unbounded or infinite would be more appropriate terms to use in this context.

1. What is a second order homogeneous ODE?

A second order homogeneous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable and its derivatives, where the highest derivative is of second order and all terms are of the same degree. It is called homogeneous because there are no constants or terms without the dependent variable present.

2. What is the general form of a second order homogeneous ODE?

The general form of a second order homogeneous ODE is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = 0, where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x.

3. How is a second order homogeneous ODE solved?

There are several methods for solving a second order homogeneous ODE, including the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution and a complementary solution, and then combining them to form the general solution.

4. What is the significance of a second order homogeneous ODE in science?

Second order homogeneous ODEs often arise in scientific models and equations that describe physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population. They can also be used to solve problems in engineering and economics.

5. How can a second order homogeneous ODE be applied in real world situations?

A second order homogeneous ODE can be used to model and predict the behavior of various systems in the real world, such as the motion of a projectile, the vibrations of a guitar string, or the spread of a disease. It can also be used to optimize processes and make predictions in fields such as finance and economics.