Uncertainties accumulate when measuring longer lengths?

fog37
TL;DR Summary
Correctly reporting uncertainties that accumulate measuring longer lengths
Hello,
It is clear that as distance being measured increases, more graduations are needed to represent a unit of measure for such distance. Each graduation in a measuring device is subject to uncertainty and error, and these errors and uncertainties accumulate with the increase in the number of graduations. For example, the meter stick has an instrumental accuracy of 0.5 mm (half the graduation of 1 mm).

How would we report the uncertainty taking into account the concept described above, i.e. the larger the measurement the greater the error since we include mode graduation units causing the error to accumulate?

For example: ##2.30 \pm 0.05 cm##. Would the uncertainty still be ##0.05 cm## if the measured distance was ##55.00 cm##? Based on what I shared, it should be higher...How much higher? How do we determine that?

Thank YOU

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend you get a book like Taylor's Introduction to Error Analysis. Since you have many questions on uncertainties, it will be more efficient for you to read the relevant chapters than to wait for us to type in much the same thing,

Likes gmax137 and fog37
Fair! I got that book but I could not find the answer. I will look more carefully.

fog37 said:
How would we report the uncertainty taking into account the concept described above, i.e. the larger the measurement the greater the error since we include mode graduation units causing the error to accumulate?
Uh ... ya think maybe HOW your measuring device was created might make a difference? Repeated use of a meter stick is NOT the same as use of a 25 meter steel tape.

That's just ONE aspect of the issue.

Likes Vanadium 50 and fog37
fog37 said:
Each graduation in a measuring device is subject to uncertainty and error, and these errors and uncertainties accumulate with the increase in the number of graduations
I don’t think this is true.

Likes hutchphd and Frabjous
Dale said:
I don’t think this is true.
Probably not.

There was the famous case when the ruler printed by the PDG was 3% too small. Normally, the relative error will go down as you get a longer length measured with a meter stick. But this is why I suggested working through Taylor. What you are measuring and how you are measuring it matters. "Just give me the formula" works badly here.

Likes Dale and phinds
Sometimes you may use the longer range to cancel errors, such as 'triangulation' in surveying, when you can build a virtual 'truss frame' to span vast field, with 'closure' errors being fed back to mitigate them...

• Informative
Likes fog37, phinds, berkeman and 1 other person

1. How do uncertainties accumulate when measuring longer lengths?

Uncertainties accumulate when measuring longer lengths because each individual measurement has its own inherent uncertainty. When multiple measurements are combined or added together to determine a longer length, the uncertainties from each individual measurement also combine, leading to a larger overall uncertainty in the final result.

2. Why is it important to consider uncertainties when measuring longer lengths?

It is important to consider uncertainties when measuring longer lengths because the accumulated uncertainties can significantly impact the accuracy and reliability of the final measurement. Ignoring uncertainties can lead to misleading or incorrect results, especially when dealing with precise measurements or calculations.

3. How can uncertainties be minimized when measuring longer lengths?

Uncertainties can be minimized when measuring longer lengths by using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and averaging the results, and reducing sources of error in the measurement process. By minimizing uncertainties in each individual measurement, the overall uncertainty in the final result can be reduced.

4. What are some common sources of uncertainties when measuring longer lengths?

Common sources of uncertainties when measuring longer lengths include limitations of the measuring instrument, human error in reading or recording measurements, variations in environmental conditions (such as temperature or humidity), and systematic errors in the measurement process. Identifying and addressing these sources of uncertainties can help improve the accuracy of the final measurement.

5. How can uncertainties in measuring longer lengths be expressed quantitatively?

Uncertainties in measuring longer lengths can be expressed quantitatively using error bars, standard deviation, or confidence intervals. These statistical measures provide a range of values within which the true length is likely to fall, taking into account the accumulated uncertainties from multiple measurements. By quantifying uncertainties, researchers can better understand the reliability and precision of their measurements.