Uncertainty in Average Intensity Calculation

In summary, the conversation is about analyzing intensities of pictures and using Mathematica to locate specific regions of higher intensities. The program returns the average intensity and standard deviation of these regions, allowing the determination of the number of circles. The question is then posed on how to calculate the average intensity of the entire picture and its uncertainty. The suggested solution is to use the formula for average on the measured mean intensities, with the uncertainty calculated using the standard deviation formula. However, it is unclear if the denominator should be N-1 and how to account for the uncertainties of the measurements.
maves

Homework Statement

I am analysing intensities of some pictures. There are specific regions of higher intensities and so far i have managed to locate those regions automatically in Mathematica and the program returns the average intensity and standard deviation on this regions ("circles"), so I can also determine the number of circles.

Homework Equations

I would like to calculate the average intensity of the whole picture and its uncertainty. How can I make this, using mean values of intensity and their deviations (uncertainties)?

The Attempt at a Solution

To get the average value of the whole picture, I of course use the formula for average on my measured mean intensities:
[tex]x_{avg}=\frac{1}{N}\sum_i x_i\,.[/tex]
But what about the error? One way would be to calculate standard deviations of these mean intensities regarding the calculated "mean of the mean", using a standard formula for std.dev.:
[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{\frac{1}{N}\sum_i(x_i-x_{avg })^2}[/tex]
If this is correct, should it be N-1 in the denominator? And for error i use [tex]\Delta x=\sigma/\sqrt{N}[/tex]?
But that does not anyhow include the uncertainties of my measurements that I already have (and I also don't think it's ok as my circles are not of equal size). I believe that the uncertainties should be used somehow-? But the "average" of those uncertainties doesn't seem to be the right way.

Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Related to Uncertainty in Average Intensity Calculation

What is the uncertainty of an average?

The uncertainty of an average is a measure of the variation or spread of a set of data points around the mean or average value. It indicates how confident we can be in the accuracy of the average.

How is the uncertainty of an average calculated?

The uncertainty of an average is typically calculated by taking the standard deviation of the data set and dividing it by the square root of the sample size. This is known as the standard error of the mean.

Why is it important to consider the uncertainty of an average?

Considering the uncertainty of an average is important because it allows us to understand the reliability of our data and the accuracy of our conclusions. It also helps us to compare different data sets and determine if there are significant differences between them.

What factors can affect the uncertainty of an average?

The uncertainty of an average can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size of the data set, the variability of the data, and the precision of the measurements. It can also be influenced by any systematic errors in the data collection or analysis process.

How can we reduce the uncertainty of an average?

The uncertainty of an average can be reduced by increasing the sample size, improving the precision of measurements, and minimizing any sources of error. It is also important to consider the uncertainty when interpreting the results and to report it along with the average value.