Uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam

In summary: See my post 11. I think you have a pretty good understanding of it. I would have to say, yes, here the book did not present the problem in a complete and accurate manner, and even their answer looks to be inaccurate, regardless of the precise question.Thank you very much, it is often the misprints and inaccurate questions in my book that end up giving me the most knowledge. I consider it solved on my part :DIn summary, the uncertainty in the energy of a laser pulse will be 6.6 x 10^(-26) J.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The duration of a laser pulse is 10^(-8) s. The uncertainty in its energy will be?

Homework Equations

## \delta x \delta p=\frac{h}{2\pi}##

The Attempt at a Solution

speed of laser beam=c, duration is given so distance can be calculated exactly-shouldn't that mean delta x=0, therefore delta p=infinite and so uncertainty in energy also infinite.
I'd appreciate some help, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle comes in several forms. One form is ## \Delta E \, \Delta t \gtrsim \frac{\hbar}{2} ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle comes in several forms. One form is ## \Delta E \, \Delta t > \frac{\hbar}{2} ##.
is the derivation of this expression from the standard one difficult?
We have a large syllabus- I want to memorize the necessities and derive the rest

With these, I think you need to know of the existence of a couple different forms, and even memorize them if possible. I'll try to find a good "link".

Charles Link said:
With these, I think you need to know of the existence of a couple different forms, and even memorize them if possible. I'll try to find a good "link".
Thank you very much, that'd be immensely helpful :D

Likes Charles Link
Likes Charles Link
The problem is not solved though, delta t still equals zero as the exact duration is given

which means delta E should be infinite, which is the incorrect answer as per my book

I should also mention that since ## \Delta p \, \Delta x \gtrsim \frac{\hbar}{2} ##, and ## \Delta E \, \Delta t \gtrsim \frac{\hbar}{2} ##, that also implies, since ## p=\hbar k ## and ## E=\hbar \omega ##, that ## \Delta k \, \Delta x \gtrsim \frac{1}{2} ## and ## \Delta \omega \, \Delta t \gtrsim \frac{1}{2} ##. Sometimes these latest expressions are written with a 1.

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
The problem is not solved though, delta t still equals zero as the exact duration is given
You have a valid point. A finite time duration, as opposed to infinite time, means there is a spread in frequencies, and an uncertainty in the photon energy is the result. Perhaps that is a better interpretation of what they are looking for.

I don't think I'll need that till I get into college, since the uncertainty principle itself isn't supposed to be mandatory syllabus (I'm just studying extra concepts). My main concern is that ## \Delta E## is coming out to be infinite instead of a proper answer required by my book

Charles Link said:
You have a valid point. A finite time duration, as opposed to infinite time, means there is a spread in frequencies, and an uncertainty in the photon energy is the result. Perhaps that is a better interpretation off what they are looking for.
The answer is given as 6.6 x 10^(-26) J

They clearly used ## \Delta E \, \Delta t \gtrsim h ##, which I think is rather inaccurate. Usually, a ## \hbar ## is used, and oftentimes, it is divided by 2.

Charles Link said:
They clearly used ## \Delta E \, \Delta t \gtrsim h ##, which I think is rather inaccurate.
Not just that, the wording of the question itself is misleading. Note that they wrote "duration of laser beam" instead of "uncertainty in duration of laser beam".
It might be a mistake but I just want to make sure I'm not missing on any important concept here if by a small chance the question and its answer is accurate

Likes Charles Link
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
Not just that, the wording of the question itself is misleading. Note that they wrote "duration of laser beam" instead of "uncertainty in duration of laser beam".
It might be a mistake but I just want to make sure I'm not missing on any important concept here if by a small chance the question and its answer is accurate
See my post 11. I think you have a pretty good understanding of it. I would have to say, yes, here the book did not present the problem in a complete and accurate manner, and even their answer looks to be inaccurate, regardless of the precise question.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Thank you very much, it is often the misprints and inaccurate questions in my book that end up giving me the most knowledge. I consider it solved on my part :D

Likes Charles Link
Just an additional comment: These uncertainty relationships come about as the result of the wave nature of what is being measured. Meanwhile, when they say the pulse is of duration ## T=1.0 \cdot 10^{-8} ## seconds, that does not mean that ## \Delta T=0 ##. A typical ## \Delta T ## on this pulse width measurement might be ## \Delta T=\pm 1.0 \cdot 10^{-9} ## seconds. Again though, their statement of the problem is rather incomplete. ## \\ ## Edit=I just deleted something, because I'm not sure that it is correct. ## \\ ## One very relevant result that follows because of a pulsed laser is the photon/laser frequency ## \omega ##. There will necessarily be an uncertainty in ## \omega ## of ## \Delta \omega ## that satisfies ## \Delta \omega \, T \gtrsim 1 ##, or thereabouts, because of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. That would make much more sense than to try to establish an uncertainty in total pulse energy that is measured. Usually, the measurement equipment that measures the energy of a single pulse has a relatively large uncertainty=much, much larger than anything Heisenberg would cause.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Just an additional comment: These uncertainty relationships come about as the result of the wave nature of what is being measured. Meanwhile, when they say the pulse is of duration ## T=1.0 \cdot 10^{-8} ## seconds, that does not mean that ## \Delta T=0 ##. A typical ## \Delta T ## on this pulse width measurement might be ## \Delta T=\pm 1.0 \cdot 10^{-9} ## seconds. Again though, their statement of the problem is rather incomplete. ## \\ ## Edit=I just deleted something, because I'm not sure that it is correct. ## \\ ## One very relevant result that follows because of a pulsed laser is the photon/laser frequency ## \omega ##. There will necessarily be an uncertainty in ## \omega ## of ## \Delta \omega ## that satisfies ## \Delta \omega \, T \gtrsim 1 ##, or thereabouts, because of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. That would make much more sense than to try to establish an uncertainty in total pulse energy that is measured. Usually, the measurement equipment that measures the energy of a single pulse has a relatively large uncertainty=much, much larger than anything Heisenberg would cause.
Interesting...and enlightening as well. Thank you for the clarification :D

Likes Charles Link

1. What is uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam?

Uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam refers to the measurement error or variability in the amount of energy emitted by a laser. This can be caused by factors such as fluctuations in the power supply, temperature changes, or imperfections in the laser itself.

2. How is uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam calculated?

Uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals. These calculations take into account the variability in measurements and provide a range of values within which the true energy value is likely to fall.

3. Why is uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam important?

Uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam is important because it can impact the accuracy and reliability of experimental results. A higher uncertainty means there is a greater chance of error in measurements, which can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder scientific progress.

4. How can uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam be reduced?

Uncertainty in the energy of a laser beam can be reduced by using high-quality lasers and ensuring stable and consistent conditions during experiments. Regular calibration and maintenance of equipment can also help to minimize uncertainty.

5. Does the type of laser affect the uncertainty in its energy?

Yes, the type of laser can affect the uncertainty in its energy. For example, gas lasers tend to have higher uncertainties compared to solid-state lasers due to their more complex and variable construction. Additionally, newer laser technologies, such as mode-locked lasers, have lower uncertainties due to their more precise and stable operation.