Uncertainty of electron energy based on confinement radius?

In summary, the individual is attempting to calculate the uncertainty in energy for an electron in a hydrogen atom when confined to its usual radius of 120 pm compared to when it is confined to the width of a proton at .88 fm. They are using the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle and the momentum-energy relationship to calculate the minimum energy. However, they are unsure why the uncertainty in energy for a hydrogen atom at 120 pm is significantly higher than expected. The person suggests looking into existing literature on the subject and provides a resource for further reading. They also question the source of the binding energy of an electron in hydrogen, citing the usual number as 13.6 eV rather than the mentioned 72 eV.
excalibur313
I am trying to calculate what we'd expect the uncertainty in energy would be for an electron in a hydrogen atom where it was confined to its usual radius (120 pm) versus if we confined it to the width of a proton (.88 fm) to try and make an argument about why the electron does not fall into the nucleus (I know there are several explanations for this, but I thought this could be an interesting approach.)

My approach is to start with the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle to calculate the corresponding uncertainty if we confine dx to be the two radii that I mentioned before.
dxdp >= hbar/2
Then, based on the momentum-energy relationship we can calculate a corresponding minimum energy based on that momentum.
E2=(pc)2
Then, I wanted to convert to eV and compare both values to the binding energy of an electron in hydrogen, which is 72 eV. The trouble is that the uncertainty in energy I get for hydrogen at 120 pm is 820 eV and at 0.88 fm it is 11 meV. Why is the 120 pm energy value about 10x higher than I'd expect? Is there something that I am missing here?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
excalibur313 said:
I am trying to calculate what we'd expect the uncertainty in energy would be for an electron in a hydrogen atom where it was confined to its usual radius (120 pm) versus if we confined it to the width of a proton (.88 fm) to try and make an argument about why the electron does not fall into the nucleus

Have you looked at the existing literature on this subject? There is plenty of it. A good overview of the QM arguments for the stability of atoms (and of matter in general) is here:

http://ergodic.ugr.es/statphys/bibliografia/lieb3.pdf

Note in particular the second paragraph from the top in the right column of the first page.

excalibur313 said:
to the binding energy of an electron in hydrogen, which is 72 eV

Where are you getting this number from? The usual number is 13.6 eV.

1. What is the significance of uncertainty in electron energy based on confinement radius?

The uncertainty of electron energy based on confinement radius is an important concept in quantum mechanics. It refers to the fact that the energy of an electron in a confined space cannot be precisely determined due to the inherent probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

2. How does the confinement radius affect the uncertainty of electron energy?

The uncertainty of electron energy increases as the confinement radius decreases. This is because as the space available for the electron to occupy becomes smaller, the electron's position and momentum become more tightly constrained, leading to a larger uncertainty in its energy.

3. Can the uncertainty of electron energy be eliminated completely?

No, according to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. Therefore, there will always be some level of uncertainty in the energy of an electron in a confined space.

4. How is the uncertainty of electron energy related to wave-particle duality?

The uncertainty of electron energy is a manifestation of wave-particle duality, which is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It states that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, and their properties cannot be precisely determined at the same time.

5. How is the uncertainty of electron energy experimentally measured?

The uncertainty of electron energy can be indirectly measured through experiments that involve measuring other properties of the electron, such as its position or momentum. The uncertainty in these measurements can then be used to calculate the uncertainty in the electron's energy.