Uncertainty principle if only one velocity direction is known

Janusz Bednarski
Homework Statement
An electron moves along the x-axis with a speed of 10^5 m/s.
a. The speed in x direction is measured with an error margin of 0.1%. What is the smallest uncertainty with which one can simultaneously measure the position in the x-axis?
b. What is the smallest uncertainty with which one can simultaneously measure the position
in y direction?
Relevant Equations
∆ x ∆ p_x ≥ h/4pi
I calculated the answer for question a to be about 10^-6 m/s (1 significant figure), but I am stuck on question b. It seems to me that it is a trick question because we don't know anything about the speed in the y-direction, and the answer can be everything from 0 to infinity. Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Note that the ##\Delta## in the HUP (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) is not the experimental error (as implied in this question). It's actually the variance in theoretically infinitely precise repeated measurements.

I guess that the question comes from a quantum physics course or textbook?

PeroK said:
:welcome:

Note that the ##\Delta## in the HUP (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) is not the experimental error (as implied in this question). It's actually the variance in theoretically infinitely precise repeated measurements.

I guess that the question comes from a quantum physics course or textbook?
Yes, it's from an old exam in the course I'm taking right now.

The answer to the question (a) does not look right: m/s is wrong unit for position.

Hill said:
The answer to the question (a) does not look right: m/s is wrong unit for position.
Oh haha yes I meant just m.

Janusz Bednarski said:
the answer can be everything from 0 to infinity
The question is about the smallest uncertainty.

Janusz Bednarski said:
Homework Statement: An electron moves along the x-axis with a speed of 10^5 m/s.
a. The speed in x direction is measured with an error margin of 0.1%. What is the smallest uncertainty with which one can simultaneously measure the position in the x-axis?
b. What is the smallest uncertainty with which one can simultaneously measure the position
in y direction?
Relevant Equations: ∆ x ∆ p_x ≥ h/4pi

I calculated the answer for question a to be about 10^-7 m/s (2 significant figures), but I am stuck on question b. It seems to me that it is a trick question because we don't know anything about the speed in the y-direction, and the answer can be everything from 0 to infinity. Am I right?
In QM, a free electron may be described by a wave packet, but not by a classical trajectory. How do we know the electron is moving along the x-axis unless we have measured the y-component of its position? And, according to the HUP, if we know precisely the electron's y-position, then we don't know it's y-momentum. And, if we don't know it's y-momentum, how can we know it is moving along the x-axis?

The question is simply not quantum mechanical. The HUP itself forbids the certainties and the precise classical trajectory specified in the question!

Likes Vanadium 50
Hill said:
The question is about the smallest uncertainty.
Oh, so you think that the answer should be 0?

PeroK said:
How do we know the electron is moving along the x-axis
I don't read it as "electron is moving along the x-axis", but rather as "its speed along the x-axis is ..." Then we really don't know anything about the y-axis.
Janusz Bednarski said:
Yes, I do.

Likes Janusz Bednarski
Hill said:
I don't read it as "electron is moving along the x-axis", ...
Janusz Bednarski said:
Homework Statement: An electron moves along the x-axis with a speed of 10^5 m/s.

Right, but it does not mean (in my English which is not my native language) that it moves only / purely along the x-axis. To me, it means that whatever its movement is, its speed along the x-axis is 10^5 m/s.
IOW, "Along the x-axis, an electron moves with the speed of 10^5 m/s."

Janusz Bednarski said:
The textbooks from which I learned QM (Griffiths & Sakurai) both presented the theory of QM. I know from having been a Homework Helper on here for many years, that many courses teach a hybrid theory where QM is just an addendum to classical mechanics - in terms of introducing uncertainty in measurements.

I honestly don't know what the answer should be, as I've never studied this hybrid theory.

I just wanted to say, without being too negative, that you are not actually being taught QM here! QM is a radical departure from classical physics. Heisenberg is supposed to have said "anyone who is not shocked by QM hasn't understood it". In your case, it's perhaps "anyone who isn't shocked by QM isn't being taught it properly"!

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Likes nasu
From what little I understand of QM, the different axes cannot be treated independently. The deltas are standard deviations, and the standard deviation of a velocity variable is a magnitude derived from a 3D probability distribution of velocity vectors.

There are at least three different interpretations of "moves along the x-axis with a speed of..."
  1. The x-component of its velocity is as stated
  2. The direction it is moving is defined to be the x-direction
  3. The particle is constrained to move in the x-direction, like a bead on a wire.
I don't think this is intended to be a physics question - it's a "can you plug in numbers" question. This is in addition to the confusing way in which it was written.

1. What is the uncertainty principle if only one velocity direction is known?

The uncertainty principle states that if the velocity of a particle in one direction is known with certainty, then the position of the particle in that direction becomes completely uncertain. This means that the more precisely we know the velocity of a particle in one direction, the less precisely we can know its position in that same direction.

2. How does uncertainty in velocity affect the measurement of position?

Uncertainty in velocity affects the measurement of position by limiting the precision with which we can determine the position of a particle. If we know the velocity of a particle in one direction with high certainty, the uncertainty principle tells us that the position of the particle in that direction becomes highly uncertain.

3. Can we ever know both the velocity and position of a particle with certainty?

According to the uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the velocity and position of a particle with certainty. This is because the more precisely we know one of these quantities, the less precisely we can know the other. Therefore, there will always be a fundamental limit to our ability to simultaneously determine the velocity and position of a particle.

4. How does uncertainty in velocity impact the behavior of particles at the quantum level?

Uncertainty in velocity plays a crucial role in shaping the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It leads to phenomena such as wave-particle duality, where particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Uncertainty in velocity also underlies the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the exact trajectory of a particle cannot be predicted with certainty.

5. What are the implications of the uncertainty principle if only one velocity direction is known?

The implications of the uncertainty principle in this scenario are profound. They suggest that at the quantum level, particles do not have well-defined trajectories or positions. Instead, they exist in a state of superposition, where their position is spread out over a range of possible values. This fundamental uncertainty challenges our classical intuition about the behavior of particles and highlights the unique nature of quantum mechanics.