Uncertainty - Reynolds number and the friction factor

In summary, the table of information has an error of ±0.4% for the Re values and ±0.1% for the f values.
Joon

Homework Statement

Correctly present the table of information. The values in the table are deliberately in a wrong format.

The calculated Re values have been analysed to have an uncertainty of ± 0.4% and the calculated f values an uncertainty of ± 0.1%.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the table attached, the first Reynolds number is 94988.9752496553.
I need to fix the number of decimal places (reduce or simplify).
[/B]

What I have tried is calculating the uncertainty for this number, 94988.9752496553 x 0.004 = 379.955901.
Since the number of decimal places must be the same for a value and its uncertainty, should I change the Reynolds number to 6 decimal places? Please help.

It is similar for the friction factor f, the values are up to 10 decimal places and I need to simplify the values in the table.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Uncertainty.png
    Uncertainty.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Joon said:
should I change the Reynolds number to 6 decimal places?
No.

You are given a single digit relative error, so you can not trust more than one digit of the error in Re. 379.955901 is preposterous. One digit means e.g. the first one is ( 95.0 ##\pm## 0.4 ) * 103 .
For the last one, you would get ( 35.9 ##\pm## 0.1 ) * 103 .

Likes scottdave
But I don't get why you said +-0.4 or +-0.1 when they are percentage uncertainty
0.4% of 95.0 is 0.4
0.4% of 35.9 is 0.1

Thanks, I get it.

Should I say (9.50 +- 0.04 ) x 10^4 or (95.0 +-0.4) x 10^3?
I know both are correct but is the first one better?

I can't see a preference for one or the other.

Thanks a lot for your replies, I very much appreciate it!

Sorry but I have one more question.

For the friction factors, f, how many significant figures would be the most ideal?
e.g. for the first one, if 3 s.f are taken into account, it becomes (1.96 +- 0.00) x 10^(-2) and 0.00 uncertainties for all the rest. If 4 s.f are taken into account then all the uncertainties become (+- 0.002) x 10^(-2).

To consider uncertainties, would it be better to choose the latter option?

Last edited:
You have 0.1% as the given uncertainty in the f values. That is 1 in 1000 -- that is four figures!

(equally, with 0.1% relative uncertainty, 0.5 in 500 requires you to report 500.0 ##\pm## 0.5 )

Stating an uncertainty of 0.00 isn't helpful

So (1960 ##\pm ## 2) ##\times ## 10-5
But I would personally prefer to report (19.60 ##\pm ## 0.02) ##\times ## 10-3
(engineers do that often: pick powers of 1000).
(even though I'm not an engineer:smile:)
Perhaps people who do a lot of programming would like (1.960 ##\pm ## 0.002) ##\times ## 10-2
(1 digit before the decimal point) Excel, e.g., does it like that for format 'scientific'-- but excel isn't the law.

De gustibus non disputandum :wideeyed:

Likes Joon
Thanks, I get it. To make sure if I understood 100%, I'll write how I approached to the problem, could you check my steps please?

For the Reynolds numbers, 0.4% is 1 in 250, which is 1/250. Following the rules of uncertainty calculations, Reynolds number (with decimals up to 10) / 250 (3 significant figures) should end up with a value of 3 s.f.

Similarly, for the f values, it is 1 in 1000, which means f values(up to 10 decimal places) / 1000(4 s.f.) should end up with a value of 4 s.f.
Am I correct?

There's something I cannot understand though, following the rules of uncertainty calculation, shouldn't it be the same for multiplication and division? (ending up with a value that has the same number of s.f. as the factor that has the least number of s.f.?) E.g. 191049820 * 0.004 should end up with a value of 1 s.f. as 0.004 has 1 s.f.

Joon said:
shouldn't it be the same for multiplication and division
I think so, yes.
The 4 as single signifcant figure (without further information) means the factor is 3.5 to 4.5 times 10-3, so the product is between 67 and 86 times 104. Best you can do is report is 8 ##\times## 104.

Similarly, suppose you get 191049820 / 0.004 then the quotient is (4.8 -- between 5.5 and 4.2) times 1010 and stating 4.8 1010 would artificially reduce the perceived accuracy by an unjustified factor of 10. Therefore: 5 1010

##\ ##

Thank you. I have successfully completed my task, thanks again for your help.
Have a nice day!

Likes BvU

Related to Uncertainty - Reynolds number and the friction factor

1. What is the Reynolds number and why is it important in fluid mechanics?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that describes the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. It is important in fluid mechanics because it helps determine the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) and the associated frictional forces.

2. How is the Reynolds number calculated?

The Reynolds number is calculated by multiplying the fluid density, the flow velocity, and the characteristic length scale of the flow, and then dividing by the fluid viscosity. The resulting value is dimensionless and represents the Reynolds number.

3. What is the significance of the friction factor in fluid flow?

The friction factor is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of energy lost due to friction in a fluid flow. It is important in determining the pressure drop and energy losses in a pipe or channel.

4. How is the friction factor related to the Reynolds number?

The friction factor is directly related to the Reynolds number. As the Reynolds number increases, the flow transitions from laminar to turbulent, and the friction factor increases. This is because turbulence creates more energy losses due to increased mixing and eddies in the flow.

5. Can the friction factor be calculated for all types of fluid flow?

No, the friction factor can only be calculated for fully developed, steady, and fully turbulent flow. For laminar flow, the friction factor is not applicable as the flow is not turbulent enough to cause significant energy losses due to friction.