Uncertainty and Significant Figures

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of uncertainty in independent variables and error processing in calculations. It is suggested that including uncertainty in the independent variable may not be necessary depending on other uncertainties. It is also important to keep track of the number of significant figures throughout calculations, as they may not always match those of the raw data. When dealing with different significant figures in independent and dependent variables, careful planning and error analysis is necessary to minimize errors.
i_love_science
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Hi,

Would it be reasonable to have uncertainty in your independent variable (e.g. uncertainty of mass measured by electronic balance)?

For processing raw data: does each processed answer just have the same number of sigfigs as each raw datum it is calculated from, or do I need to keep track of the number of sigfigs throughout each calculation?
As well, how would I account for the different sigfigs of my independent and dependent variables, which are both used in my calculation?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The homework fora require posting your best attempt at solution -- that way it's more likely you get adequate assistance at the proper level. What do you know about error processing and eror propagation ?

i_love_science said:
Would it be reasonable to have uncertainty in your independent variable (e.g. uncertainty of mass measured by electronic balance)?
Yes, if it matters (other uncertainties could render such a small error irrelevant). Otherwise it's just a wasted effort.

i_love_science said:
For processing raw data: does each processed answer just have the same number of sigfigs as each raw datum it is calculated from, or do I need to keep track of the number of sigfigs throughout each calculation?
Generally: No, so you have to keep track. (general question, general answer).

i_love_science said:
As well, how would I account for the different sigfigs of my independent and dependent variables, which are both used in my calculation?
By carefully picking values, careful experiment planning, doing a careful error analysis. Otherwise the biggest error reigns.

Specific examples you want to submit ?

Last edited:

Related to Uncertainty and Significant Figures

1. What is uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Uncertainty refers to the amount of doubt or error associated with a measurement. It is a measure of how confident we are in the accuracy of a measurement, and is often expressed as a range of possible values.

2. How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is calculated by taking into account the precision and accuracy of a measurement. Precision refers to the level of detail or granularity in a measurement, while accuracy refers to how close the measurement is to the true value. Uncertainty is typically calculated by adding or subtracting half of the smallest unit of measurement from the recorded value.

3. What are significant figures?

Significant figures are the digits in a number that contribute to its precision. They are determined by the precision of the measuring instrument and are used to indicate the level of uncertainty in a measurement. Non-zero digits and zeros between non-zero digits are significant, while leading and trailing zeros may or may not be significant depending on the context.

4. How do significant figures affect calculations?

When performing calculations, the result should have the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement used in the calculation. This ensures that the level of uncertainty in the result is not greater than the level of uncertainty in the original measurements. In addition, the rules for significant figures dictate how to round the final result to the appropriate number of digits.

5. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

The number of significant figures in a measurement is determined by counting all of the digits that are known with certainty, plus one estimated digit. The estimated digit is typically the first uncertain digit, and it is assumed to have an uncertainty of plus or minus half of the smallest unit of measurement. For example, a measurement of 5.2 cm has two significant figures, while a measurement of 5.20 cm has three significant figures.