Uncovering the Mysteries of Time: Understanding its Stretch and Rhythm

In summary, time stretching is a poor way to think about time, and anything that you've read that talks about time stretching has probably been badly oversimplified.
DLeuPel
I have a question. I know that events don't happen simultaneously but rather they are ordered chronologically by time, but why? What is time and how does it stretch events and why does it have the rhythm/flow that it currently has?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Time stretching" is a very unhelpful way of thinking about it, and anything that you've read that talks about time stretching has probably been badly oversimplified. If you're serious about understanding relativity, you could start with the relativity of simultaneity (Google is your friend here) or a textbook at the level of Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics".

The best answer to your other question - "what is time?" - comes from Einstein: Time is what a clock measures. It's worth Googlng that phrase just to see what he was getting at.

Likes SiennaTheGr8
DLeuPel said:
I have a question. I know that events don't happen simultaneously but rather they are ordered chronologically by time, but why? What is time and how does it stretch events and why does it have the rhythm/flow that it currently has?
What do you mean by "stretch events?" Do you mean to ask why it is that not all observers agree on the time that occurs between two events?

As for "why does time seem to flow," that's either a philosophical/psychological/neurological question, or its asking a question that has no answer other than "because that's how the universe is," I'd wager.

It could be that time doesn't actually flow, but our brains just take input and interpret it that way. Who knows? Someone here with an advanced degree in physics would be better positioned to answer that one, but based on what little I know I'm not sure if that's really a physics question.

Likes nitsuj and FactChecker
One could possibly give an anthropic explanation that if there was no time and therefore no motion, we would not be able to ask that question. So the fact that we are here discussing this has pre-selected the condition of a universe with a time dimension.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

DLeuPel said:
events don't happen simultaneously
rootone said:
We would be in deep doo doo if they did.

I feel like that would be a "big bang" :smile:

1. What is time?

Time is a fundamental concept that measures the duration of events and the intervals between them. It is often described as a dimension in which events can be ordered from the past through the present to the future.

2. How does time stretch?

Time can stretch due to the effects of gravity and velocity. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time dilation occurs when an object moves at high speeds or is in a strong gravitational field, causing time to pass slower for that object compared to a stationary observer.

3. What is the relationship between time and space?

In physics, time and space are often considered together as the fabric of the universe. They are interwoven and affect each other in ways that are still being studied and understood. The theory of relativity also suggests that both time and space are relative concepts and can be affected by gravity and motion.

4. How do we measure time?

Time is typically measured in units such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, and years. These units are based on the Earth's rotation and revolution around the Sun. However, other units of time can also be used, such as nanoseconds for measuring incredibly short durations or geological time for measuring long periods.

5. Can we travel through time?

While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, it is currently not possible according to our current understanding of physics. The laws of physics, particularly the conservation of energy, make it difficult to imagine a way to travel through time. However, scientists continue to explore the possibilities and implications of time travel in theoretical physics.