Uncovering the Mystery of Proton Mass: The Role of Quarks and Gluons

In summary, the mass of the proton is mainly explained by the special relativity theory in quantum chromodynamics. The mass of the proton is about 80 times greater than the sum of the rest masses of its constituent quarks, and the rest mass of the proton is attributed to the energy of the quarks and gluons within it. This accounts for almost 99% of the mass of the proton.
Crazymechanic
I was checking and I couldn't find a similar thread so I am going to ask it here.
I read a paper from Franz Wilczek and I do see that Protons mass comes from the masses of quarks and gluons but they account for only part of the protons mass , so where does the other part comes from , I guess from the kinetic or whatever kind of energy they exert being part of the proton?
Is this true or not, I just got a little lost while reading maybe you could clear up some things .

Physics news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chromodynamics

(From the article)

Quarks and the mass of the proton

In quantum chromodynamics, the modern theory of the nuclear force, most of the mass of the proton and the neutron is explained by special relativity. The mass of the proton is about eighty times greater than the sum of the rest masses of the quarks that make it up, while the gluons have zero rest mass. The extra energy of the quarks and gluons in a region within a proton, as compared to the rest energy of the quarks alone in the QCD vacuum, accounts for almost 99% of the mass. The rest mass of the proton is, thus, the invariant mass of the system of moving quarks and gluons that make up the particle, and, in such systems, even the energy of massless particles is still measured as part of the rest mass of the system.

1. What is the proton mass and why is it important?

The proton is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. Its mass is approximately equal to 1 atomic mass unit (or 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms). Protons are important because they make up the majority of the mass of an atom and their interactions with other particles play a crucial role in determining the properties and behavior of matter.

2. What is the current scientific understanding of the proton mass?

Scientists have long known that the proton mass is not solely made up of its three valence quarks (two ups and one down). Instead, it is believed that the majority of the proton's mass comes from the strong force binding energy between the quarks and the gluons that hold them together. However, the exact contribution of each component is still not fully understood and is an ongoing area of research.

3. How do quarks and gluons contribute to the proton mass?

Quarks are the fundamental building blocks of protons, and gluons are the force particles that bind the quarks together. The strong force, mediated by gluons, is responsible for holding the quarks together in a proton. This force also creates a sea of virtual quark-antiquark pairs and gluons, which contribute to the overall mass of the proton. The exact dynamics of this interaction are complex and still not fully understood.

4. How have scientists studied the proton mass?

Scientists have used various experimental and theoretical approaches to study the proton mass. These include particle colliders such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, which allows scientists to probe the internal structure of protons and measure the distribution of quarks and gluons within them. Theorists also use mathematical models, such as Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD), to describe and predict the behavior of quarks and gluons in protons.

5. What are the potential implications of uncovering the mystery of proton mass?

Understanding the role of quarks and gluons in the proton mass could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. It could also help us better understand the properties and behavior of matter, as well as inform future technological advancements. Additionally, it could shed light on the origins of mass and the mystery of why particles have different masses.