Undamped Spring question problem solved, but I can't plot the graph

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a mass of 2 pounds stretches a spring 6 inches and is then pulled down an additional 3 inches and released. The position of the mass at any time is determined and a plot of position versus time is requested. The frequency, period, and amplitude of the motion are also to be found. The problem is solved successfully, but there is difficulty in graphing the cosine wave due to uncertainty about the phase. It is then explained that the phase can be obtained from the initial conditions and in this case, B=0. The general wave formula is introduced and it is noted that in this case, the phase is 0 and the Greek letter omega is used to represent the frequency.
dwilmer

Homework Statement

a mass weighig 2 pounds stretches a spring 6 inches. If the mass is pulled down an additional 3 inches and then released, and if there is no damping, detemine the position, u of the mass at any time, t.
Plot u verses t.
Find the frequency, period and amplitute of the motion

Homework Equations

solved all parts of the problem, but having trouble graphing the cosine wave

The Attempt at a Solution

answers: u = (1/4) cos (8t)
R = (1/4) feet
w (this is supposed to be the greek w, whatever that is called) = root k/m = 8 radians
T = 2pie/w = pie / 4

i am confused how to graph this without knowing what the phase is??
i know that amplitute will be 1/4
and the wave will have points at 0, pie/16, pie/8, 3pie/16 and pie/4
but won't i need to know phase in order to know if the waveform is shifted over at all??

..and in order to know the phase, i would need to know the coefficient in front of second term of general solution. That is:
u = (1/4)cos (8t) + B sin (8t)
and
phase = tan-1 (B/A)

therefore i have to know what B is in order to calculate phase.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You get the phase from the initial conditions. In this case you've solved it correctly, so like you said, B = 0. This is equivalent with knowing the initial position and the velocity of the mass (initial velocity = 0 <=> B = 0).

The general "wave" can be written [itex]A cos(\omega t+ \phi)[/itex] where A is the amplitude, [itex]\omega[/itex] is the frequency, and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the phase. In your example, the phase is 0.

(And [itex]\omega[/itex] is "omega", the last letter of the Greek alphabet.)

Related to Undamped Spring question problem solved, but I can't plot the graph

1. How do I solve an undamped spring problem?

To solve an undamped spring problem, you need to use Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is equal to the spring constant multiplied by the displacement from its equilibrium position. You will also need to use Newton's Second Law, which states that the sum of the forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up and solving equations using these principles, you can find the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the spring at any given time.

2. What is the difference between an undamped and damped spring?

An undamped spring is a spring that has no external forces acting on it, such as friction or air resistance. This means that the spring will continue to oscillate at its natural frequency indefinitely. On the other hand, a damped spring is a spring that has external forces acting on it, causing it to eventually come to rest due to energy loss. This could be due to friction or air resistance.

3. Why can't I plot the graph for my undamped spring problem?

There could be a few reasons why you are having trouble plotting the graph for your undamped spring problem. One possibility is that your equations may be incorrect, so double check your calculations. Another possibility is that you may not have all the necessary data or parameters, such as the spring constant or initial conditions. Make sure you have all the information you need before attempting to plot the graph.

4. How do I calculate the natural frequency of an undamped spring?

The natural frequency of an undamped spring can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass attached to the spring. This formula assumes that there are no external forces acting on the spring, and the mass is located at the end of the spring.

5. Can I use the same equations for all undamped spring problems?

Yes, the equations used to solve undamped spring problems are general and can be applied to any undamped spring system. However, you may need to adjust the values of the parameters, such as the spring constant or initial conditions, to fit your specific problem. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the appropriate values for the parameters in order to get an accurate solution.