Undercover BBC journalist uses students as cover in North Korea

• News
  • Thread starter JesseC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    students
In summary, a BBC journalist went undercover on a field trip to North Korea with students from the London School of Economics (LSE) to make a documentary. There are conflicting reports on whether the students gave consent or were aware of the consequences. LSE has complained and asked for the documentary not to be aired, while the BBC argues it was necessary to expose North Korea. Students have now written an open letter to LSE, and there are concerns about the safety of UK academics in volatile regions. However, some have also criticized the documentary for being overhyped.
JesseC
I found this particular item of news quite interesting because of the ethical questions it raises.

In summary, a BBC journalist posed as a student from the London School of Economics (LSE) and joined a field trip to North Korea in order to secretly film and make a documentary. There are conflicting reports as to whether the legitimate students gave full consent or fully appreciated the consequences were the cover to be blown. A few students have complained, as has LSE who asked that the documentary not be aired. The BBC have claimed that such undercover reporting was appropriate to expose the true nature of North Korea given that it is currently centre stage in world affairs.

There is lots of coverage, here is one example:
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/tv-and-radio/panorama-crew-used-lse-north-korea-trip-as-cover-1-2895053

Physics news on Phys.org
Bizarre. I think I read somewhere that they were 'North Korean Studies' students, so I image this ruins their chance of ever visiting NK again.

I also agree with the opinion that it puts UK academics at greater risk when working in volatile regions of the world if it becomes widely known that they have in the past been used as cover for journalists/"spies".

Also, having watched the documentary, I thought it was a bit crap and not worth all the hype in the first place.

1. What was the purpose of the undercover BBC journalist in North Korea?

The purpose of the undercover BBC journalist was to gather information and footage for a documentary about the education system in North Korea.

2. How did the journalist pose as a student in North Korea?

The journalist used a fake identity and enrolled in a university in North Korea under the guise of being a PhD student studying computer science.

3. Was the journalist able to successfully gather information in North Korea?

Yes, the journalist was able to gather information and footage for the documentary despite strict government controls and surveillance in North Korea.

4. Were the students who were used as cover by the journalist aware of the true purpose of the project?

No, the students were not aware of the true purpose of the project. They were told that they were participating in a cultural exchange program.

5. Did the North Korean government take any action against the journalist or the students after the documentary was released?

It is not known if the North Korean government took any specific action against the journalist or the students. However, it is likely that there were consequences for their involvement in the project, as North Korea has strict punishments for any form of dissent or criticism of the regime.

Back