Undergrad Applied Math + Computer Science or Computing

In summary, the speaker is considering either a BSc (Applied Math and Computer Science) or BSc(Computing) at UNISA, with a preference for the former due to its more extensive math courses. They have limited work experience and are interested in both technology and a potential future in a more math-heavy career. They are unsure if they should focus on software engineering or pursue a more broad degree like MIT's EECS, and also have a desire to pursue a master's degree in the future. They are seeking advice on navigating their local job market for gainful employment.
Rya26
I am currently considering either a BSc (Applied Math and Computer Science) or BSc(Computing) at a distance learning university called UNISA. From what I can see the former is the one I think would be best as it has the best math courses between the two(Computing only has Linear Algebra,Calculus A while App. Math+Comp Sci has these plus Differential equations,ODEs,Discrete math,Special relativity etc.)

This would be my first degree and I have almost no credible work experience to speak of except a few failed attempts at entrepreneurship and helping out in family businesses.At 26, I guess you could say I'm having a bit of a quarter-life crisis.I am extremely interested in technology but I'm not sure if I want to pursue a mainstream enterprise software development career or a more scientific or quantitative career.I would really like to have at least both options available to me when I graduate.The BSc in computing to me would kind of shut me out of more math rigorous careers.

Do I focus on software engineering or get a more broad degree like MIT's EECS?I would like to go for at least a masters degree in the future as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most job markets are local. If the main goal of your education is gainful employment, you should seek advice from those familiar with your local job markets.

Likes Rya26

1. What is the difference between Undergrad Applied Math + Computer Science and Computing?

Undergrad Applied Math + Computer Science is a dual degree program that combines studies in mathematics and computer science, while Computing is a more general term that encompasses a wide range of topics related to computers and technology. The former is typically more focused on the mathematical and theoretical aspects of computer science, while the latter may cover a broader range of practical skills and applications.

2. What types of courses can I expect to take in an Undergrad Applied Math + Computer Science program?

Courses in this program may include topics such as calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, algorithms, data structures, programming languages, and computer architecture. Students may also have the opportunity to take specialized courses in areas such as machine learning, cryptography, or numerical analysis.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to succeed in Undergrad Applied Math + Computer Science?

While a strong foundation in math is certainly helpful, it is not always a requirement for success in this program. Many schools offer introductory math courses specifically designed for students in computer science or related fields. Additionally, students can always seek out extra help or resources if they need to improve their math skills.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates of Undergrad Applied Math + Computer Science or Computing programs?

Graduates of these programs can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as software development, data analysis, computer engineering, and research. They may also find opportunities in industries such as finance, healthcare, and technology consulting. With a strong foundation in both math and computer science, these graduates are well-equipped to tackle complex and innovative projects in a variety of industries.

5. Can I pursue graduate studies in either of these programs?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs in both Applied Math + Computer Science and Computing. These programs often allow students to specialize in a particular area of interest, such as artificial intelligence, data science, or cybersecurity. Graduates of these programs may go on to pursue careers in research or academia, or to advance their careers in industry.