Undergraduate-level text on batteries and battery management (with exercises)

In summary, the conversation is about finding resources for learning about battery chemistry. The first speaker suggests checking battery manufacturer websites and basic tutorials from Battery University. The second speaker agrees and mentions the usefulness of organized information and practice exercises. They also tag two other individuals for input on battery chemistry resources.
jamesson
Is there such a thing? Or, alternately, am I just better off with an echem and/or physical chemistry book?

Thanks

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked at the battery manufacturer websites for that kind of information? I would think that they would have useful information in their tech sections...

Of course there is much useful information on manufacturer websites. The point of a text is to present information in an organized manner and give me exercises for practice.

Yes, I've seen that site.

Likes berkeman
Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a battery in electronic devices?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is used to power electronic devices such as laptops, smartphones, and cars.

2. What are the main components of a battery?

The main components of a battery are the anode, cathode, and electrolyte. The anode is the negative terminal and the cathode is the positive terminal, while the electrolyte is the medium that allows the flow of ions between the anode and cathode.

3. How does battery management work?

Battery management involves monitoring and controlling the charging and discharging of a battery to ensure its proper functioning and prolong its lifespan. This is achieved through the use of a battery management system, which includes components such as sensors, microcontrollers, and software algorithms.

4. What are some common types of batteries used in electronic devices?

Some common types of batteries used in electronic devices include lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, and lead-acid batteries. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of battery depends on the specific application and requirements.

5. Can batteries be recycled?

Yes, batteries can be recycled. Recycling not only helps to reduce waste and conserve resources, but it also prevents hazardous materials from entering the environment. It is important to properly dispose of batteries to ensure they are recycled in an environmentally responsible manner.