Understand Linear Algebra: Im(BF) in Im(B)?

In summary: Since Im(B) is a subset of Im(T), multiplying by A will not change the range. Therefore, Im(BA) is a subset of Im(T).In summary, we discussed the relationship between Im(BF) and Im(B), where B and F are matrices. It was concluded that Im(BF) is a subset of Im(B). We also discussed the possibility of Im(FB) being in Im(B), which is not always true. Lastly, we looked at the relationship between Im(BA) and Im(T), where B and A are matrices and T is the range of another matrix. It was concluded that Im(BA) is also a subset of Im(T).
Payam30
Hi,
Im actually doing some systems theory and it requires some basic linear algebra stuff that I totally forgotten. Anyway:according to my prof. :
For any matrix F. Im(BF) is contained in Im(B).

here is my question:
so Im(FB) is still in Im(B)? or is it true only when we multiply a matrix to the right of the origin matrix?

if Im(B) is in Im(T) and Im(AB) is in Im(T), is Im(A) in Im(T) as well? and is Im(BA) in Im(T). imagin that the dimention ab matrices are appropriate. and they are constant real matrices

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that B and F are matrices, and that Im(B) denotes the range of B (I would write it as ran B)...

If x is in the range of BF, then there's a y such that x=(BF)y=B(Fy). This implies that x is in the range of B.

So yes, Im(BF) is a subset of Im(B).

Fredrik said:
Assuming that B and F are matrices, and that Im(B) denotes the range of B (I would write it as ran B)...

If x is in the range of BF, then there's a y such that x=(BF)y=B(Fy). This implies that x is in the range of B.

So yes, Im(BF) is a subset of Im(B).
Hi
Thanks for your answer. What about the other quations? thanks.

Payam30 said:
so Im(FB) is still in Im(B)?

This is not necessarily true. For example, in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, let ##B## a projection on the X-axis and let ##B## be a suitable rotation.

if Im(B) is in Im(T) and Im(AB) is in Im(T), is Im(A) in Im(T) as well?

Not necessarily true. in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, let ##B## and ##T## be projections on the X-axis and let ##A## be the identity.

and is Im(BA) in Im(T).

This is true.

1. What is Im(BF)?

Im(BF) stands for the image of the matrix product B and F. It is the set of all possible output values when the matrix B is multiplied by the matrix F.

2. What does Im(BF) represent in terms of linear algebra?

In linear algebra, Im(BF) represents the range, or the set of all possible output values, of the linear transformation represented by the matrix product B and F.

3. How is Im(BF) related to Im(B)?

Im(BF) is a subset of Im(B). This means that all the possible output values of the linear transformation represented by B and F are also contained within the possible output values of the linear transformation represented by B.

4. Can Im(BF) be larger than Im(B)?

No, Im(BF) cannot be larger than Im(B). This is because Im(BF) is a subset of Im(B), meaning that it can only contain output values that are already contained within the range of Im(B).

5. How is understanding Im(BF) helpful in linear algebra?

Understanding Im(BF) is helpful in linear algebra because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of linear transformations and their outputs. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and performing other operations such as finding the inverse of a matrix.