Matrices and linear transformations. Where did I go wrong?

In fact, there is no linear transformation ##L## such that ##L(x,y) = x##, because then you would have, for example, ##L(0,1) = 0## and ##L(1,0) = 1## and by linearity, ##L(0,1) = L((1,0)+(0,1)) = L(1,0) + L(0,1) = 1+0=1##.a) You have the right idea, but you need to be careful about notation. You should say something like "Let ##(x_1,y_1),(x_2,y_2) \in \mathbb{R}
davidge
Hi everyone. Excuse me for my poor English skills. I did an exam today and my exam result was 13 of 40. I don't understand why it was my result, because while doing the exam I though I was doing it well, then the result was a surprise for me. I will write down the questions and after write my answers.

1. (a) Let [itex] \pi_1: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] such that [itex]\pi_1 (x,y) = x[/itex]. Show that [itex]\pi_1[/itex] is a linear transformation. Calculate the kernel of [itex]\pi_1[/itex]. What is the dimension of its image? Explain your reason.

(b) Give an example of a linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex] which is not surjective.

(c) There can be a injective linear transformation [itex] T: \mathbb{R} ^{2} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R} [/itex]? Explain your reason.

2. Consider the matrix

[itex] A = \begin{pmatrix}1&-2&8\\0&-1&0\\0&0&-1\end{pmatrix} [/itex]

(a) Calculate the eigenvalues and eigenspaces of A.

(b) Is A a diagonalizable matrix? Explain.

(c) Calculate [itex]tr(A^{2017})[/itex].

3. Are the matrices below diagonalizable? If not, explain your reason, if yes, diagonalize it.

(a) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

(b) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\1&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

My answers:

1. (a) Linearity (addition):
π1(x1, y1) = x1, π1(x2, y2) = x2
π1(x1, y1) + π1(x2, y2) = x1 + x2 = π1(x1 + x2, y1 + y2).

Linearity (scalar multiplication):
π1(αx1, y1) + π1(αx2, y2) =
α(x1 + x2) = π1(α(x1 + x2), y1 + y2).

Ker(π1) = {0, y}, Im(π1) = ℝ2; dimension 2.

(b) T: ℝ2 → ℝ
(x, y) [itex] \mapsto[/itex] T(x, y) = [itex]\sqrt x[/itex].

(c) Yes. This condition will be satisfied if each element of ℝ2 is mapped into each element of ℝ, e.g. (x, y) [itex] \mapsto[/itex] x.

(a) 1; -1. I found these values by setting the determinant of the matrix equal to zero.
Eigenvectors of A are for λ= 1: t(1,0,0), for λ = -1: (-4α + β, β, α), with α, β, t ∈ ℝ.
So A has two independent eigenvectors and the eigenspace is ℝ2.

(b) No. We need three independent eigenvectors to form the square matrix S in SAS-1 = D, and A has only two independent eigenvectors.

(c) A² = I, A³ = A, A4 = I, ... Since 2017 is a odd number, A2017 = A, and tr(A2017) = (1 x -1 x -1) = 1.

(a) The matrix has only one eigenvalue and is not diagonalizable.

(b)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:
Hi everyone. Excuse me for my poor English skills. I did an exam today and my exam result was 13 of 40. I don't understand why it was my result, because while doing the exam I though I was doing it well, then the result was a surprise for me. I will write down the questions and after write my answers.

3. Are the matrices below diagonalizable? If not, explain your reason, if yes, diagonalize it.

(a) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\0&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

(b) [itex] \begin{pmatrix}1&1\\1&1\end{pmatrix}[/itex].

My answers:

(a) The matrix has only one eigenvalue and is not diagonalizable.

(b)

I'm thinking that breaking this into chunks would be good. For whatever reason I'm thinking it'd make sense to work backward.

3b) is certainly diagonalizable. The simplest reason is that it is symmetric, and in Reals, ALL symmetric matrices are diagonalizable. (You could also notice the trace is 2, yet it is rank 1, hence you have eigs = 2 and 0...)

3a) You're right that the only unique eigenvalue = 1. This is a pre-requisite, but by no means is sufficient, for a matrix to be defective. What they'd like to hear is probably the how many linearly independent eigenvectors are associated with this eigenvalue... (you'll hear terms like geometric multiplicity here)

As mentioned above, this is too much for one post. To take question 1:

b) ##\sqrt{x}## is not linear.

c) The example you gave is not 1-1, which is what injective means.

1. What is a matrix and how is it used in linear transformations?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. In linear algebra, matrices are used to represent linear transformations between vector spaces. This allows us to perform operations such as rotation, scaling, and shearing on objects in a coordinate system.

2. Can you explain the difference between a matrix and a linear transformation?

A matrix is a mathematical object, while a linear transformation is a mathematical operation. A matrix is used to represent a linear transformation, but it does not represent the transformation itself. Think of a matrix as a recipe for a linear transformation.

3. How does matrix multiplication work in linear transformations?

In linear transformations, matrix multiplication is used to combine multiple transformations into one. The result of multiplying two matrices is a new matrix that represents the composition of the two transformations. This allows us to perform complex transformations by breaking them down into simpler ones.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with matrices and linear transformations?

One common mistake is forgetting to match the dimensions of matrices when performing operations such as addition or multiplication. It is also important to remember the order of operations, as matrix multiplication is not commutative. Another mistake is confusing the roles of the matrix and the linear transformation, as mentioned in the second question.

5. How can I check if I made a mistake when working with matrices and linear transformations?

One way to check for mistakes is to perform the inverse of the transformation and see if you get back to the original object. Another method is to perform the transformation on a set of known points and compare the results to what is expected. Additionally, double-checking the dimensions and order of operations can help catch mistakes.