Understand Postulates of Relativity & Inertial Frames

In summary, the author argues that postulates of relativity are related to inertial frames. However, an experiment that is supposed to use postulates of relativity to determine the speed of something can be invalidated because the frames that are used are not inertial.
Sampad Saha
I think postulates of Relativity is related to Inertial frames. As according to postulates "1)The laws of physics, including electromagnetism, are the same in all inertial frames. 2)Every observer measures the same value c for the speed of light (in vacuum) in all inertial frames. "
But in the experiments to show that the speed of anything couldn't be more than speed of light (Shown in image) the frames that are used is not inertial ! So how can we say that "As the observers in the spacecraft and on the ground would see different events, the postulates are violeted"
As I think postulates are about inertial frames and the experiment is not about inertial frame.(I think my concepts of about both Postulates and Inertial frames are wrong, please acknowledge me if I'm going wrong " Thank you..
Screenshot_2015-03-28-12-13-19.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Sampad Saha said:
But in the experiments to show that the speed of anything couldn't be more than speed of light (Shown in image) the frames that are used is not inertial ! So how can we say that "As the observers in the spacecraft and on the ground would see different events, the postulates are
If the rocket is coasting with its motors off, a frame on which the rocket is at rest is an inertial frame. That's the " spacecraft frame" of the example on your book.

A frame in which an observer standing on the surface of the Earth (the ground observer's frame) is not inertial because of gravity and because of centrifugal force from the Earth's rotation. However, these effects are so small that for most practical purposes we can consider this to be an inertial frame. And if that's not good enough, we could imagine doing the thought experiment when the second observer is not standing on the surface of the Earth but is instead is floating in space while the rocket zooms by - then there's no doubt that the frame in which the observer is bat rest is an inertial frame.

So as far as this example is concerned, we're doing it with just inertial frames. But even if we weren't, the argument would still be valid:

As I think postulates are about inertial frames and the experiment is not about inertial frame
The postulates are about what is observed in an inertial frame (more precisely, what is observed by an observer who is at rest in an inertial frame). However, once we have used the postulates to determine what will be observed by an inertial observer, we can ask the question "what would an observer who is not at rest in an inertial frame see when he watches the experiment being done?"

Sampad Saha said:
I think postulates of Relativity is related to Inertial frames. As according to postulates "1)The laws of physics, including electromagnetism, are the same in all inertial frames. 2)Every observer measures the same value c for the speed of light (in vacuum) in all inertial frames. "
Your textbook messes up the postulates. It should be:
2) The measured speed of light (in vacuum) is a constant, independent of the motion of the light source.
Accepting 1) and 2) gives you then what you wrote as 2).
- see the intro of http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
But in the experiments to show that the speed of anything couldn't be more than speed of light (Shown in image) the frames that are used is not inertial ! So how can we say that "As the observers in the spacecraft and on the ground would see different events, the postulates are violeted"
As I think postulates are about inertial frames and the experiment is not about inertial frame. [..]
Perhaps you misunderstand what the author tries to say. The illustration is given that such experiments will be impossible according to relativity theory. According to classical mechanics it should be possible in principle to go faster than light, just as an airplane can go faster than sound.

A rocket that has its engines switched off and that is far from gravitational fields is in inertial motion so that it can serve as basis for an inertial frame. Similarly the Earth can serve as basis for an inertial frame as long as its rotation and orbit about the Sun can be neglected. For navigation the "Earth Centred Inertial Frame" is used, in which the Earth's rotation is accounted for but not its orbit - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-centered_inertial .

Last edited:

1. What are the postulates of relativity?

The first postulate of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. The second postulate states that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant and independent of the observer's motion or the source of light.

2. What is an inertial frame in relation to relativity?

An inertial frame is a reference frame in which the laws of physics are described by the same equations regardless of the frame's uniform motion. In other words, there is no acceleration or force acting on the frame.

3. How does relativity explain the concept of time dilation?

According to relativity, time is not absolute and can be experienced differently by observers in different inertial frames. Time dilation occurs when an object's velocity increases, causing time to slow down for that object relative to an observer in a different frame.

4. Can you provide an example of how the postulates of relativity apply in our daily lives?

One example is the Global Positioning System (GPS) which relies on relativity to accurately determine location. The satellites in the GPS system are moving at high speeds relative to the Earth's surface, causing time dilation. Without taking this into account, the GPS system would be inaccurate by several kilometers.

5. How did Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionize our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of relativity fundamentally changed our understanding of space and time, showing that they are not absolute concepts but are instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. This theory also paved the way for the development of modern physics, including quantum mechanics and the study of black holes.