Understand Spacelike Timelines: Carroll Page 71

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between Spacelike timelines and other timelines found in Carroll's notes. It is suggested to start at the beginning to fully understand the concept, as skipping earlier material may lead to confusion. The thread is also closed, indicating that the discussion has ended.
sqljunkey
Hello can someone help me understand the difference between Spacelike timelines and the two others found in Carroll page 71?

Physics news on Phys.org
sqljunkey said:
Hello can someone help me understand the difference between Spacelike timelines and the two others found in Carroll page 71?
Carroll describes and explains spacelike in an earlier chapter of those notes.

Why don't you start at the beginning, like page 6 and 7?

I see PeroK beat me to it :)

Likes PeroK
The only way you could be at page 71 with this question is if you skipped some of the earlier stuff. Don’t do that, it just wastes everyone’s time.

this thread is closed.

Likes berkeman, weirdoguy, Motore and 1 other person

1. What is a spacelike timeline?

A spacelike timeline is a representation of the sequence of events in a particular space, where the events are not necessarily linked by cause and effect. This means that the events could occur in any order without affecting the outcome of the timeline.

2. How is a spacelike timeline different from a timelike timeline?

A timelike timeline represents events that are causally connected, meaning that the order of events is important and can affect the outcome of the timeline. In contrast, a spacelike timeline does not have a specific order of events and the outcome is not affected by the order in which the events occur.

3. What is the importance of understanding spacelike timelines?

Understanding spacelike timelines is important in fields such as physics and cosmology, as it allows for the study of events that are not causally connected. It also helps in understanding the concept of time and the different ways it can be perceived and measured.

4. Can spacelike timelines exist in our physical world?

Yes, spacelike timelines can exist in our physical world. They are often used in thought experiments and theoretical models to better understand the nature of time and space.

5. Are there any real-life examples of spacelike timelines?

One example of a spacelike timeline is the concept of parallel universes, where different events occur in different timelines without affecting each other. Another example is the concept of time travel, where the timeline can be altered without causing a paradox.