Understanding Acids What is the relationship between Ka and Kw?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the auto-ionization constant of water and the acid-dissociation constant to calculate the concentration of protons and hydroxide ions in solution. It also mentions the relationship between pH and pOH and how they only equal 14 for a neutral solution. The conversation also touches on the use of these constants for weak acids and bases and their impact on pH calculations. Finally, the conversation mentions the limitations of using these constants for solutions close to pH 7 and provides resources for further understanding.
yougene
I'm not sure if this belongs in the HW section but I'm not doing HW so I'll post it here.

My book mentions the auto-ionization constant of water( Kw = [H+][OH-] = 1.0 E-7 ) and shows us how we can use it to find the pH if a strong base is added by solving for [H+].

Later on in the book it introduces you to the acid-disassociation constant( Ka = ([H+][A-])/[HA] ). This makes some of the other information seem inconsistent to me.

For example, pOH + pH = 14 is one equation that is given. But this equation was derived using the auto-ionization constant of water. Does this mean pOH = pH = 14 will only work with strong basic and acidic solutions then?

Physics news on Phys.org
No wonder you're confused - the auto-ionization constant is Kw = [H+][OH-] = 10^-14 which is the same thing as pOH + pH = 14.

Which also means that pOH = 14 - pH and pH = 14 - pOH. So pH=pOH only for pH=pOH=7, neutral.

Thanks for the reply
The 7 was a typo.

That doesn't address the fragmentation in my understanding though.

Can I use Kw equilibrium with weak acids/bases? Why?

For strong acids, calculating [H+] is easy because the acid fully dissociates. So, for a monoprotic acid like HCl, the concentration of protons is equal to the concentration for acid. For weak acids like HF, the acid does not fully dissociate so concentration of protons is not equal to the concentration of acid. Here, one uses the expression for Ka to solve for the concentration of protons when the weak acid is added to solution. One can then use the [H+] obtained from the equation for Ka to solve for the concentration of hydroxide ions in solution using the expression for Kw.

For example, let's say we have weak acid HA with Ka = 0.01 at a concentration of 1M. When the acid is added to solution, approximately 1% of the acid will dissociate, giving a [H+] of approx. 0.01M. Using this value we can calculate [OH-] ~ 1.0x10-12M.

Thanks, that sums it up nicely.

What if an acid is being added to a basic solution? How does Kw play into that type of scenario?

Thanks, that looks comprehensive.

Related to Understanding Acids What is the relationship between Ka and Kw?

1. What is an acid?

An acid is a chemical substance that donates protons (H+) in a chemical reaction. It is typically characterized by a sour taste and the ability to dissolve certain metals and other materials.

2. What is a base?

A base is a chemical substance that accepts protons or donates hydroxide ions (OH-) in a chemical reaction. It is typically characterized by a bitter taste and the ability to neutralize acids.

3. What is the pH scale and how does it relate to acids?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral, lower numbers indicating acidity, and higher numbers indicating basicity. Acids have a pH below 7.

4. What is the Ka value and how does it relate to the strength of an acid?

The Ka value, also known as the acid dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of an acid. It is the equilibrium constant for the dissociation of an acid in water. A higher Ka value indicates a stronger acid.

5. What is the relationship between Ka and Kw?

Ka and Kw are related through the ionization of water. Kw, or the ionization constant of water, is equal to the product of the concentrations of H+ and OH- ions in water. Ka is equal to the concentration of H+ ions multiplied by the concentration of its conjugate base. Therefore, the product of Ka and Kb (the base dissociation constant) is equal to Kw.