Understanding and Tuning Non-Linear PID Controllers for UAVs

In summary, the conversation involves someone working on a project controlling a UAV and trying to understand non-linear PID controllers. They are looking for information on how to find the functions and tune the parameters for a non-linear PID. They have asked for help from others, but are also looking at a paper for guidance. They have specific questions about the coefficients and understanding a section in the paper.
young_penguin
TL;DR Summary
NLPID and LPID
Hello,
I'm working on a project controlling a UAV (quadcopter)
I'm trying to understand non-linear PID controllers.
I know that a linear PID is given by:
1580127575758.png

and a non-linear PID the konstant terms are replaced with functions
1580127585624.png

My question is: how to i find these function and tune the paremeters, i don't seem to understand
Hope someone can help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello young penguin, :welcome:

Don't the authors describe that in their paper ?

1580132105790.png

You can hardly expect us to do much better on such a general question than a paper (probably the same as the one you looked at) of 10 pages with 32 references.

young_penguin said:
I haven't seen this paper
So where did your formula picture come from ?
young_penguin said:
i don't seem to understand what f_z1, f_z2, and f_z3 are.
I suppose I could read the paper thoroughly and come up with an answer. But I am certain you can read too :smile:

BvU said:
Hello young penguin, :welcome:

Don't the authors describe that in their paper ?

View attachment 256188
You can hardly expect us to do much better on such a general question than a paper (probably the same as the one you looked at) of 10 pages with 32 references.

Hello BvU
Sorry i was a little too fast, i was reading the paper.
thanks for the reply. I have looked at the paper you link to, and have some basic questions i hope you can answer for me.

I don't seem to understand how the coefficients k_i1, k_i2, mu and alpha are found
I see what he says in section 5.1. Step reference tracking but i don't understand it.
Hope you can help
1580135624950.png

1580135642459.png

1. What is a non-linear PID controller?

A non-linear PID controller is a type of proportional-integral-derivative controller that is used to control the behavior of a system that exhibits non-linear dynamics. This means that the relationship between the input and output of the system is not a simple linear function.

2. How is a non-linear PID controller different from a traditional PID controller?

A traditional PID controller uses a linear model of the system to calculate its control actions, while a non-linear PID controller takes into account the non-linear dynamics of the system. This allows for more accurate and efficient control of the system.

3. What are some common applications of non-linear PID controllers in UAVs?

Non-linear PID controllers are commonly used in UAVs for tasks such as altitude control, attitude control, and trajectory tracking. They are also used in autonomous flight systems to maintain stability and control during flight.

4. How do you tune a non-linear PID controller for a UAV?

Tuning a non-linear PID controller involves adjusting the controller's parameters to achieve the desired performance and stability. This can be done through manual tuning, where the parameters are adjusted based on the system's response, or through automated methods such as Ziegler-Nichols or Cohen-Coon methods.

5. What are some challenges in understanding and tuning non-linear PID controllers for UAVs?

One of the main challenges is accurately modeling the non-linear dynamics of the UAV system. This requires a deep understanding of the system's behavior and can be difficult to achieve. Another challenge is finding the right balance between performance and stability, as aggressive tuning can lead to instability in the system.