Understanding Angles: Vab, Vbc & Vca

• Thread starter DunceKirchhoff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the angles used (0, 120, -120 degrees) are fixed, but their assignment to particular leads is arbitrary in theory.
DunceKirchhoff
http://i60.tinypic.com/nmntpj.jpg

How do you differ what angle for example Vab, Vbc, and Vca are?

I notice the reference angle is always 0 degrees but how can you tell for the other two?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
DunceKirchhoff said:
http://i60.tinypic.com/nmntpj.jpg

How do you differ what angle for example Vab, Vbc, and Vca are?

I notice the reference angle is always 0 degrees but how can you tell for the other two?

Thanks in advance.

Look up "Three phase power". The power supply is designed to deliver voltages with a specific angular relationship between the supply leads.

Yes but just by looking at the diagram you must be able to tell which is which?

Using Vab as a reference, the reference is always 0 degrees.

So if Vxy is used as a reference in another question that will also be 0 degrees.

How do I find out the other two?

The angles used (0, 120, -120 degrees) are fixed, but their assignment to particular leads is arbitrary in theory. It looks as though they've made the assignment for you by providing the phasor diagram and formulas. You take them as given.

In practical systems, such as the power grids of countries or industrial generators, there are standards in place that define the wiring colors associated with the particular angles.

The phase angles are given here because it is a worked example. Questions there after do not give you these angles, instead they say for example use Vab for reference.

DunceKirchhoff said:
The phase angles are given here because it is a worked example. Questions there after do not give you these angles, instead they say for example use Vab for reference.

Then feel free to assign the angles as you please to the otherwise undefined leads. Or take the worked example as a motivation to assign them in the same way. Usually the only important criteria is that the each of the required angles is represented.

I can't see any indication on how they have chosen which are angles which. Its important to know as it obviously effects the overall answers.

DunceKirchhoff said:
I can't see any indication on how they have chosen which are angles which. Its important to know as it obviously effects the overall answers.

Why don't you post one of the questions that's giving you problems so we can see the issue? We can only give general suggestions to general concerns... a specific example might shed some light.

Related to Understanding Angles: Vab, Vbc & Vca

1. What are Vab, Vbc, and Vca in relation to angles?

Vab, Vbc, and Vca are vector quantities that represent the three angles of a triangle. Vab represents the angle opposite side Vab, Vbc represents the angle opposite side Vbc, and Vca represents the angle opposite side Vca.

2. How do I calculate the value of Vab, Vbc, and Vca?

The value of Vab, Vbc, and Vca can be calculated using the law of cosines. This formula states that Vab = arccos[(Vbc^2 + Vca^2 - Vab^2)/(2 * Vbc * Vca)]. Similarly, Vbc and Vca can be calculated by substituting their corresponding sides in the formula.

3. What is the difference between Vab, Vbc, and Vca and the other angles of a triangle?

Vab, Vbc, and Vca are known as the interior angles of a triangle, while the other angles (A, B, and C) are known as the exterior angles. Interior angles are always smaller than exterior angles and they add up to 180 degrees.

4. How are Vab, Vbc, and Vca useful in real-world applications?

Vab, Vbc, and Vca are useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to calculate distances, angles of elevation or depression, and to determine the direction of an object or a point.

5. Can Vab, Vbc, and Vca be negative?

Yes, Vab, Vbc, and Vca can be negative depending on the orientation of the triangle. In a standard triangle with all positive sides, the angles will also be positive. However, if one or more sides of the triangle are negative, the corresponding angles will also be negative.