Understanding Angular Velocity: Solving for Radius with Homework Statement

• Thread starter mathman44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the angle of rotation on a disk and the velocity of a ball on that disk. There is confusion about the correct equation to use and the concept of center-to-center distance is brought up. The conversation concludes that the center-to-center distance, denoted as rho, is a constant and does not need to be used in the equation.
mathman44

Homework Statement

I think I've just majorly confused myself here...

6f9mo2.jpg

In the above diagram, since the ball doesn't "slip" we know that
[tex] R*\frac{d\theta}{dt} = V [/tex]

where theta is the angle of rotation on the disk itself.

I need to relate the angle phi to the angle theta. If I use the relation

[tex] R*\frac{d\theta}{dt} = p*\frac{d\phi}{dt} [/tex]

then I get the "correct" answer for this problem; but shouldn't the relation really be

[tex] R*\frac{d\theta}{dt} = (p+R)*\frac{d\phi}{dt} [/tex]

since the velocity vector is at the base of the moving disk? Major brainfart here!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, but remember that as the disk rolls, the relative orientation of its center and its point of contact changes.

To see what's going on, think about what happens as the disk rolls through an angle of 2π (for example); that is, so that Δθ = 2π. Suppose it started out at the bottom of its "track," so that the contact point was at the bottom. Once it has rolled through an angle of 2π, it will be partway up one side of the track, and the contact point is no longer at the bottom. So the contact point will have effectively moved around the circumference of the disk by more than 2πR. If you think about that example carefully (you may want to draw diagrams for the initial and final states), you'll be able to come up with the equation you need.

Actually your example pretty much made it clear, I take it "p" is just the average distance from the center to the initial "base" of the disk?

Thanks.

No, actually ρ (technically it's a rho, not a p, but that's not important) is the center-to-center distance. At least, that's what your diagram appears to show. It's a constant, not an average of anything.

Doesn't p, the center-to-center distance, work out to be the average distance to a given point on the disk (that we define as corresponding to theta = 0) as it rotates around the circular well?

I don't think so. If you consider a circle of radius ρ concentric with the "track," it passes through the center of the disk and thus encloses less than half of the disk's circumference at any given time. So as a given point on the edge moves around that circumference, it will spend less than half its time within radius ρ of the center. (Then again, I haven't done the math in detail, so perhaps this argument is wrong)

Well if you let p' be a vector from the center to an arbitrary point on the disc, it would have a length of p' = p + R*sin(theta), which would vary as the disk rolled, and the average of p' = p, no?

OK, you're right, although I had to do the math in detail to check it.

In any case, ρ is defined to be the center-to-center distance, and I don't think you need to use the fact that it is the average center-to-edge-point distance at all. So it threw me off a little when you brought it up, that's all ;)

Related to Understanding Angular Velocity: Solving for Radius with Homework Statement

1. What is the definition of radius?

The radius is the distance from the center of a circle to its outermost edge or boundary. It is often represented by the symbol "r".

2. How is the radius different from the diameter?

The radius is half the length of the diameter. The diameter is the distance across a circle passing through its center, while the radius is the distance from the center to the edge.

3. How do you calculate the radius of a circle?

The radius of a circle can be calculated by dividing the diameter by 2, or by using the formula r = C/2π, where C is the circumference of the circle.

4. Can the radius of a circle be negative?

No, the radius of a circle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents a distance.

5. What is the unit of measurement for radius?

The unit of measurement for radius can vary, but it is typically measured in units of length such as inches, centimeters, or meters.