Understanding Back EMF: What is it & What Does it Do?

This is known as back electromotive force (EMF). It appears only at the moment of switching and closing the circuit, and is related to the main EMF through Faraday's law. A good source for further explanation is Wikipedia's page on counter-electromotive force.
Amr Elsayed
Hello all, I have got a hard time thinking of what back E.M.F is. Does it appear only at the moment of switching and closing the circuit ? why it's even there and what is its relation with E.M.F .
If some one can provide me with a brief and good source that elegantly explains the whole thing I will be grateful.
Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Amr Elsayed said:
Hello all, I have got a hard time thinking of what back E.M.F is. Does it appear only at the moment of switching and closing the circuit ? why it's even there and what is its relation with E.M.F .
If some one can provide me with a brief and good source that elegantly explains the whole thing I will be grateful.
Regards
As I said in your other thread, try starting with wikipedia.

When current increases in a conductor, a voltage (proportional to the rate of current change) is self-induced that opposes the current.

Related to Understanding Back EMF: What is it & What Does it Do?

1. What is back EMF?

Back EMF, or back electromotive force, is a voltage that is generated in a coil of wire when the current through the coil is changed. This voltage is opposite in direction to the voltage that was originally applied to create the current.

2. Why is back EMF important to understand?

Back EMF plays a crucial role in many electrical and electronic systems, particularly in motors and generators. It can affect the performance and efficiency of these systems, and understanding it can help in designing and optimizing them.

3. How is back EMF related to Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. Back EMF is a direct result of this law, as the induced voltage in the coil opposes the change in current that created it.

4. Can back EMF be harmful to electronic devices?

In most cases, back EMF is not harmful to electronic devices. In fact, it can be beneficial in certain applications, such as inductive loads, where it helps to protect the device from damage due to sudden changes in current.

5. How can back EMF be measured?

Back EMF can be measured using a voltmeter or an oscilloscope. By connecting these instruments across the coil of wire, the voltage generated by the back EMF can be observed and analyzed.