Understanding Batteries: Anode, Cathode, Electrolyte

In summary: The two substances need to be in contact for this reaction to take place. In a battery, the two electrodes are typically connected by a conductor. This allows the electrons to flow from the anode to the cathode.
Alex Hughes
So I understand in a battery that an anode (such as zinc) and a cathode (such as carbon) are separated by an electrolyte. I also understand that the electrons want to flow into the cathode, but can't get to them, so as soon as a conductor connects the two terminals, current can flow. However, there are several questions I'm confused about and I was hoping somebody could help me. First, why zinc and carbon. Second, what is the purpose of the electrolyte? Why can't charges just flow through the battery to the other electrode, does the electrolyte stop that from happening? Lastly, what actually makes the electrons in the anode want to move to the cathode. Everybody just says that they want to but not why. Sorry for rambling I'm just frustrated that nobody can give me a clear answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Hughes said:
So I understand in a battery that an anode (such as zinc) and a cathode (such as carbon) are separated by an electrolyte. I also understand that the electrons want to flow into the cathode, but can't get to them, so as soon as a conductor connects the two terminals, current can flow. However, there are several questions I'm confused about and I was hoping somebody could help me. First, why zinc and carbon. Second, what is the purpose of the electrolyte? Why can't charges just flow through the battery to the other electrode, does the electrolyte stop that from happening? Lastly, what actually makes the electrons in the anode want to move to the cathode. Everybody just says that they want to but not why. Sorry for rambling I'm just frustrated that nobody can give me a clear answer.

all your questions are answered here ...

http://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/

Likes JME23
Alex Hughes said:
First, why zinc and carbon.
It doesn’t need to be zinc and copper. Those are just easy to find materials that have different potentials. Any pair will do, the further apart the better.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/electpot.html

Alex Hughes said:
Second, what is the purpose of the electrolyte?
The electrolyte is a fluid for the metals to go into solution at one electrode and out of solution at the other electrode. It also conducts electrical current between the electrodes.

Alex Hughes said:
Why can't charges just flow through the battery to the other electrode, does the electrolyte stop that from happening?
I don’t understand this question. Charges flowing through the battery is the same as charges flowing through the electrolyte.

Alex Hughes said:
Lastly, what actually makes the electrons in the anode want to move to the cathode.
The chemical reactions and the energy they provide.

Alex Hughes said:
First, why zinc and carbon. [\QUOTE]
Carbon is only used as a conductor, which doesn't corrode. Zinc is a metal is a metal that loses electrons rather easily, and then dissolves, so it can be used for the negative pole of the battery. Metals that are even more reactive can be dangerous (see all lithium battery fires) and will be more expensive to produce in pure form. Using a less reactive metal like Iron would drastically reduce the battery voltage and the reaction rate and therefore the current that could be produced.
Second, what is the purpose of the electrolyte? Why can't charges just flow through the battery to the other electrode, does the electrolyte stop that from happening? Lastly, what actually makes the electrons in the anode want to move to the cathode. Everybody just says that they want to but not why. Sorry for rambling I'm just frustrated that nobody can give me a clear answer.
The important thing with batteries is that the electrons can't move through the electrolyte. The current in the battery comes from the ions in the electrolyte, This current goes against the electric field, and it is caused by diffusion. At the negative pole, Zn2+ is produced. If there is lots of Zn2+ close to the negative pole, and less of it further away from it, it will diffuse away. Negative Ions will move towards where the Zn2+ is .to keep the electrolyte electrically neutral.

Likes Merlin3189
Thanks for your answers but I'm still a little confused. Refer to this picture I have of a diagram of a battery.
stock-vector-vector-dry-battery-diagram-71553316.jpg

Can you walk through all the processes that happen when the two terminals of the battery are connected with a conductor. What I was asking earlier is why can't electrons just flow through the electrolyte (which I'm assuming is the paste of MnO2, Nh4Cl and Carbon right?), and flow directly into the cathode without having their terminals connected via a conductor. How does the electrolyte stop electrons from flowing inside the battery?

Attachments

• stock-vector-vector-dry-battery-diagram-71553316.jpg
    stock-vector-vector-dry-battery-diagram-71553316.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,897
Electrons don't flow through the electrolyte because it is not conductive enough.

The basic mechanism in a battery is an redox reaction. One substance gets oxidized (loses electrons) while the other gets reduced (gains electrons). Now, if you put the two substances together, they will simply react and you won't gain much of it. So the idea is to separate the two substances, and allow them to perform the redox reaction only by exchanging electrons through a conductor, such as a wire, allowing you to use the energy of the reaction to produce some electrical work.

As with everything related to electricity, you need a closed circuit to keep the electrons flowing. This is achieved by an electrolytic bridge, where ions can be exchanged. In the dry battery illustrated, there is a thin layer of paper separating the zinc from the paste, such that ions can slowly diffuse but MnO2 can't react directly with the zinc.

DrClaude said:
Electrons don't flow through the electrolyte because it is not conductive enough.

The basic mechanism in a battery is an redox reaction. One substance gets oxidized (loses electrons) while the other gets reduced (gains electrons). Now, if you put the two substances together, they will simply react and you won't gain much of it. So the idea is to separate the two substances, and allow them to perform the redox reaction only by exchanging electrons through a conductor, such as a wire, allowing you to use the energy of the reaction to produce some electrical work.

As with everything related to electricity, you need a closed circuit to keep the electrons flowing. This is achieved by an electrolytic bridge, where ions can be exchanged. In the dry battery illustrated, there is a thin layer of paper separating the zinc from the paste, such that ions can slowly diffuse but MnO2 can't react directly with the zinc.
Thank you very much that helped a ton. The only thing I was confused about is your last paragraph. You said a closed circuit is needed to keep electrons from flowing. Isn't there already a closed circuit though when you connect the two terminals of the battery with a wire? How is separating the zinc and the electrolyte contributing to anything. Is it because since electrons leave the zinc and leave behind positively charged zinc ions, these ions need to diffuse to keep from a charge building up?

Alex Hughes said:
How is separating the zinc and the electrolyte contributing to anything.
You have to separate it to avoid a direct reaction of the zinc and the MnO2.

Alex Hughes said:
Is it because since electrons leave the zinc and leave behind positively charged zinc ions, these ions need to diffuse to keep from a charge building up?
If there is an accumulation of ions, the reaction will stop. (The electrochemical potential will change as ions accumulate, to the point where there is no longer any potential difference between the anode and the cathode.) It is usually counter ions that diffuse, not the ions produced at the anode.

DrClaude said:
You have to separate it to avoid a direct reaction of the zinc and the MnO2.If there is an accumulation of ions, the reaction will stop. (The electrochemical potential will change as ions accumulate, to the point where there is no longer any potential difference between the anode and the cathode.) It is usually counter ions that diffuse, not the ions produced at the anode.
What are counter ions? Also, if the paper serves as a bridge between the zinc to allow the ions to diffuse, which stops the build up of ions, how do batteries finally go dead? I always thought, once there is no longer a potential difference between the cathode and anode, the battery dies, but what you described seems like there will always be a potential difference?

Alex Hughes said:
why can't electrons just flow through the electrolyte
The charge carriers in the electrolyte are the ions. There are no free electrons in the electrolyte. The electrons are bound to the metal, not to a specific atom in the metal, but to the metal as a whole. If you want to remove an electron from a metal you have to overcome the so called work function.

Likes JME23
Dale said:
The charge carriers in the electrolyte are the ions. There are no free electrons in the electrolyte. The electrons are bound to the metal, not to a specific atom in the metal, but to the metal as a whole. If you want to remove an electron from a metal you have to overcome the so called work function.
And you overcome this work function by connecting the two terminals of the battery with a conductor giving a path for the electrons to flow to into the cathode?

Alex Hughes said:
And you overcome this work function by connecting the two terminals of the battery with a conductor giving a path for the electrons to flow to into the cathode?
No, the work function is not overcome in a battery. The electrons do not leave the conductor.

The work function is overcome, for example, in a cathode ray tube where the cathode is heated so that the electrons have enough thermal energy to overcome the work function and leave the metal.

Alex Hughes said:
how do batteries finally go dead? I always thought, once there is no longer a potential difference between the cathode and anode, the battery dies

Once the battery chemistry can no longer sustain a chemical reaction, a potential difference cannot be generated = dead battery

did you actually go and read the www page I posted in post #2 ? it seems not

davenn said:
Once the battery chemistry can no longer sustain a chemical reaction, a potential difference cannot be generated = dead battery

yes I did, it was a bunch of information and I couldn't seem to find where my question was answered. I'll go back and reread it again though.

Last edited:
davenn said:

Going over the link again, I actually did find it very helpful. Thanks

Alex Hughes said:
Going over the link again, I actually did find it very helpful. Thanks

you mite also find this helpful concerning the electrolyte and the chemical reaction

from
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/batteries.html

howbatteryworks.gif

Chemical reactions
Now back to our battery. The positive and negative electrodes are separated by the chemical electrolyte. It can be a liquid, but in an ordinary battery it is more likely to be a dry powder.

When you connect the battery to a lamp and switch on, chemical reactions start happening. One of the reactions generates positive ions (shown here as big yellow blobs) and electrons (smaller brown blobs) at the negative electrode. The positive ions flow into the electrolyte, while the electrons (smaller brown blobs) flow around the outside circuit (blue line) to the positive electrode and make the lamp light up on the way. There's a separate chemical reaction happening at the positive electrode, where incoming electrons recombine with ions taken out of the electrolyte, so completing the circuit.

The electrons and ions flow because of the chemical reactions happening inside the battery—usually two of them going on simultaneously. The exact reactions depend on the materials from which the electrodes and electrolyte are made. (Some examples are given further on in this article where we compare different types of batteries. If you want to know more about the reactions for a particular battery, enter the type of the battery you're interested in followed by the words "anode cathode reactions" in your favorite search engine.) Whatever chemical reactions take place, the general principle of electrons going around the outer circuit, and ions reacting with the electrolyte (moving into it or out of it), applies to all batteries. As a battery generates power, the chemicals inside it are gradually converted into different chemicals. Their ability to generate power dwindles, the battery's voltage slowly falls, and the battery eventually runs flat. In other words, if the battery cannot produce positive ions because the chemicals inside it have become depleted, it can't produce electrons for the outer circuit either.

Now you may be thinking: "Hang on, this doesn't make any sense! Why don't the electrons just take a short cut and hop straight from the negative electrode through the electrolyte to the positive electrode? It turns out that, because of the chemistry of the electrolyte, electrons can't flow through it in this simple way. In fact, so far as the electrons are concerned, the electrolyte is pretty much an insulator: a barrier they cannot cross. Their easiest path to the positive electrode is actually by flowing through the outer circuit.Dave

Attachments

• howbatteryworks.gif
    howbatteryworks.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,281
Likes cnh1995
davenn said:
you mite also find this helpful concerning the electrolyte and the chemical reaction

from
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/batteries.html

View attachment 220372

Chemical reactions
Now back to our battery. The positive and negative electrodes are separated by the chemical electrolyte. It can be a liquid, but in an ordinary battery it is more likely to be a dry powder.

When you connect the battery to a lamp and switch on, chemical reactions start happening. One of the reactions generates positive ions (shown here as big yellow blobs) and electrons (smaller brown blobs) at the negative electrode. The positive ions flow into the electrolyte, while the electrons (smaller brown blobs) flow around the outside circuit (blue line) to the positive electrode and make the lamp light up on the way. There's a separate chemical reaction happening at the positive electrode, where incoming electrons recombine with ions taken out of the electrolyte, so completing the circuit.

The electrons and ions flow because of the chemical reactions happening inside the battery—usually two of them going on simultaneously. The exact reactions depend on the materials from which the electrodes and electrolyte are made. (Some examples are given further on in this article where we compare different types of batteries. If you want to know more about the reactions for a particular battery, enter the type of the battery you're interested in followed by the words "anode cathode reactions" in your favorite search engine.) Whatever chemical reactions take place, the general principle of electrons going around the outer circuit, and ions reacting with the electrolyte (moving into it or out of it), applies to all batteries. As a battery generates power, the chemicals inside it are gradually converted into different chemicals. Their ability to generate power dwindles, the battery's voltage slowly falls, and the battery eventually runs flat. In other words, if the battery cannot produce positive ions because the chemicals inside it have become depleted, it can't produce electrons for the outer circuit either.

Now you may be thinking: "Hang on, this doesn't make any sense! Why don't the electrons just take a short cut and hop straight from the negative electrode through the electrolyte to the positive electrode? It turns out that, because of the chemistry of the electrolyte, electrons can't flow through it in this simple way. In fact, so far as the electrons are concerned, the electrolyte is pretty much an insulator: a barrier they cannot cross. Their easiest path to the positive electrode is actually by flowing through the outer circuit.Dave
Wow thanks a ton, that cleared a lot of things up. I think I finally understand it. So a battery consists of 2 electrodes, an anode and a cathode. If you just connected two metals (with different electronegativities) through a wire WITHOUT an electrolyte nothing would happen because electrons don't want to just leave their stable state and cause a difference of positive and negative charge. However, if the two metals are exposed to an electrolyte, A chemical reaction occurs between the anode and cathode at the same time. The electrolyte oxidizes the anion therefore removing the electrons from it leaving behind a positive ion. This ion combines in solution with the electrolyte. When a wire is connected between the two terminals, the leftover electrons from the reaction now have a place to go and move towards the cathode since it has a stronger electronegativity than the anode. Once the electrons reach the cathode they combine with the ions out of the electrolyte and reduce them. Eventually a battery will die when the reaction between the anode and the electrolyte cannot happen due to the anode not having anymore electrons to give up. Is what I said correct?

Likes davenn
Alex Hughes said:
Wow thanks a ton, that cleared a lot of things up. I think I finally understand it. So a battery consists of 2 electrodes, an anode and a cathode. If you just connected two metals (with different electronegativities) through a wire WITHOUT an electrolyte nothing would happen because electrons don't want to just leave their stable state and cause a difference of positive and negative charge. However, if the two metals are exposed to an electrolyte, A chemical reaction occurs between the anode and cathode at the same time. The electrolyte oxidizes the anion therefore removing the electrons from it leaving behind a positive ion. This ion combines in solution with the electrolyte. When a wire is connected between the two terminals, the leftover electrons from the reaction now have a place to go and move towards the cathode since it has a stronger electronegativity than the anode. Once the electrons reach the cathode they combine with the ions out of the electrolyte and reduce them. Eventually a battery will die when the reaction between the anode and the electrolyte cannot happen due to the anode not having anymore electrons to give up. Is what I said correct?
Ok sorry for going on and on about this but last question. So does that mean the terminals of a battery, which we refer to as positive and negative, aren't actually positive and negatively charged but instead neutral? The negative and positive terminals are just an indication of the potential at that point on the battery, not the charge of the terminals? Something tells me this isn't right, but I just assumed if the anode is giving up electrons but also having the ion it leftover dissolve into the electrolyte, then the total charge of the anode isn't changing right?

Alex Hughes said:
If you just connected two metals (with different electronegativities) through a wire WITHOUT an electrolyte nothing would happen because electrons don't want to just leave their stable state and cause a difference of positive and negative charge.
The reaction doesn't concern two native metals, but one in its reduced form and the other oxidized. Take for example zinc and copper. If you mix metallic zinc with copper oxide (CuO), they will react together (you need to supply heat if they are in solid form) to form zinc oxide and metallic copper. The idea of the battery is to separate the two so they don't react directly, but have to exchange electrons through a wire.

Rechargeable batteries work by inverting the reaction: you supply electricity to reduce the oxide and oxidize the metal. The battery is then ready to be reused.

Alex Hughes said:
However, if the two metals are exposed to an electrolyte, A chemical reaction occurs between the anode and cathode at the same time. The electrolyte oxidizes the anion therefore removing the electrons from it leaving behind a positive ion. This ion combines in solution with the electrolyte. When a wire is connected between the two terminals, the leftover electrons from the reaction now have a place to go and move towards the cathode since it has a stronger electronegativity than the anode. Once the electrons reach the cathode they combine with the ions out of the electrolyte and reduce them. Eventually a battery will die when the reaction between the anode and the electrolyte cannot happen due to the anode not having anymore electrons to give up. Is what I said correct?
That's not correct, see above. Also, things don't happen in steps: the circuit has to be closed for the section to take place.

Alex Hughes said:
Ok sorry for going on and on about this but last question. So does that mean the terminals of a battery, which we refer to as positive and negative, aren't actually positive and negatively charged but instead neutral? The negative and positive terminals are just an indication of the potential at that point on the battery, not the charge of the terminals? Something tells me this isn't right, but I just assumed if the anode is giving up electrons but also having the ion it leftover dissolve into the electrolyte, then the total charge of the anode isn't changing right?
Everything is neutral. It is common when dealing with electricity to use + and - to indicate potential differences, not accumulation of charges.

DrClaude said:
The reaction doesn't concern two native metals, but one in its reduced form and the other oxidized. Take for example zinc and copper. If you mix metallic zinc with copper oxide (CuO), they will react together (you need to supply heat if they are in solid form) to form zinc oxide and metallic copper. The idea of the battery is to separate the two so they don't react directly, but have to exchange electrons through a wire.

Rechargeable batteries work by inverting the reaction: you supply electricity to reduce the oxide and oxidize the metal. The battery is then ready to be reused.That's not correct, see above. Also, things don't happen in steps: the circuit has to be closed for the section to take place.Everything is neutral. It is common when dealing with electricity to use + and - to indicate potential differences, not accumulation of charges.
Ok, so are you saying in a battery, the anode is already oxidized and the cathode is already reduced? I don't understand why this would be. I'm so confused now. Can you explain what exactly was wrong with what I said in the section?

Also, as I thought about it, doesn't something need to be positively charged in order to have a positive potential? If that's the case, how does one terminal of the battery have a positive potential and other a negative potential if they are both neutral?

What is the purpose of an anode in a battery?

The anode is the negative terminal of a battery and it serves as the source of electrons for the battery. It is where the oxidation reaction occurs, releasing electrons to the external circuit.

What is the role of a cathode in a battery?

The cathode is the positive terminal of a battery and it is responsible for receiving the electrons from the external circuit. It is where the reduction reaction occurs, accepting the electrons to complete the circuit.

What is the function of an electrolyte in a battery?

The electrolyte is the medium through which ions can move between the anode and cathode. It allows for the flow of charged particles, balancing the charges in the battery and facilitating the chemical reactions.

How do anode and cathode materials affect battery performance?

The choice of materials for the anode and cathode can greatly impact the performance of a battery. Different materials have varying capacities, efficiencies, and reaction rates, which can affect the battery's energy density, power output, and lifespan.

What are the main factors that affect battery life?

The main factors that affect battery life are the number of charge-discharge cycles, the depth of discharge, operating temperature, and the choice of materials for the anode and cathode. Proper usage and maintenance of the battery can also play a significant role in its lifespan.