Understanding Bragg's Law and Reflection: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter whatisreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflection
In summary, Bragg's Law states that when x-rays are scattered from a crystal lattice, they produce peaks of scattered intensity in certain directions when the angle of incidence of the x-rays is equal to the angle of reflection of the scattered x-rays. This is known as the condition for maximum intensity and can be used to calculate the atomic or molecular structure of the crystal lattice. The concept of electric dipole moments is not necessary to understand Bragg's Law at a first year undergraduate level.
whatisreality
I don't think I understand Bragg's law, but I'd quite like to! There's loads of stuff online, but most of it is too complicated for me as a first year undergrad. My understanding was that x-rays get diffracted, but then my textbook says something about electric dipole moments (never heard of them) and makes it sound like the wave is actually incident on the atoms. Apparently it's not the same as a diffraction grating at all.
There wasn't really a question there... I'm just quite confused! I'd appreciate any help :)

Science news on Phys.org
whatisreality said:
I don't think I understand Bragg's law, but I'd quite like to! There's loads of stuff online, but most of it is too complicated for me as a first year undergrad. My understanding was that x-rays get diffracted, but then my textbook says something about electric dipole moments (never heard of them) and makes it sound like the wave is actually incident on the atoms. Apparently it's not the same as a diffraction grating at all.
There wasn't really a question there... I'm just quite confused! I'd appreciate any help :)

Your understanding that x-rays get diffracted is correct. yes, It is similar to diffraction grating. All that business about electric dipole moments is for later years, trying to explain the underlying physics.

Bragg's Law -
Bragg found that when x-rays are scattered from a crystal lattice, the scattering gives rise to peaks of scattered intensity observed in certain directions which meet the following conditions:
  1. The angle of incidence of the x-rays = angle of reflection of the scattered x-rays.
  2. When the path length difference between rays scattered by successive planes of the lattice is equal to an integral number of wavelength of the incident x-rays, the rays interefere constructively to produce peaks of intensity.
The condition for maximum intensity is known as Bragg's law which allows us to calculate the atomic or molecular structure of the atoms or molecules constituting the crystal lattice. Bragg’s Law: n λ = 2d sin θ

Hope the above makes sense to you?

upload_2015-2-10_15-2-59.png

n*(lambda)=2dsin(theeta) which is braggs eqn

Nainam said:
Your understanding that x-rays get diffracted is correct. yes, It is similar to diffraction grating. All that business about electric dipole moments is for later years, trying to explain the underlying physics.

Bragg's Law -
Bragg found that when x-rays are scattered from a crystal lattice, the scattering gives rise to peaks of scattered intensity observed in certain directions which meet the following conditions:
  1. The angle of incidence of the x-rays = angle of reflection of the scattered x-rays.
  2. When the path length difference between rays scattered by successive planes of the lattice is equal to an integral number of wavelength of the incident x-rays, the rays interefere constructively to produce peaks of intensity.
The condition for maximum intensity is known as Bragg's law which allows us to calculate the atomic or molecular structure of the atoms or molecules constituting the crystal lattice. Bragg’s Law: n λ = 2d sin θ

Hope the above makes sense to you?

View attachment 78914
Thank you, that's a really good summary, definitely makes it clearer! I'll ignore dipoles for now then :)

That is reality for whatisreality! I am glad you liked my explanation.

What is Bragg's Law?

Bragg's Law is a fundamental principle in X-ray crystallography that describes the relationship between the wavelength of X-rays and the angles at which they are diffracted by a crystal lattice.

Who discovered Bragg's Law?

Bragg's Law was discovered by father and son duo Sir William Henry Bragg and Sir William Lawrence Bragg in 1912.

How is Bragg's Law used in X-ray crystallography?

In X-ray crystallography, Bragg's Law is used to determine the atomic structure of crystals by analyzing the diffraction patterns of X-rays that are diffracted by the crystal lattice.

What is the equation for Bragg's Law?

The equation for Bragg's Law is nλ = 2dsinθ, where n is the order of diffraction, λ is the wavelength of the X-rays, d is the distance between crystal planes, and θ is the angle of diffraction.

What are some applications of Bragg's Law?

Bragg's Law has many applications in various fields such as material science, geology, and biology. It is commonly used to study crystal structures, determine the composition of materials, and analyze the properties of minerals and proteins.