Understanding 'C Code' & 'No.' in Buck Converter Regulator Datasheet

In summary: I'm an idiot.In summary, a recent conversation discussed the terms "c code" and "No." being used for certain capacitors in a buck converter regulator datasheet. However, upon further research, it was found that these terms were used to refer to specific capacitor values and were explained in the footnotes of the datasheet. The conversation also touched on the idea of sorting capacitors by inductance and the possibility of needing multiple capacitors in different positions depending on the chosen inductance.
Mzzed
I have recently come across a datasheet for a buck converter regulator that uses the terms "c code" and "No." for certain capacitors but when going to the manufacturer datasheets for these capacitors they make no reference to any "c code" or one single number for a capacitor. If anyone could help me understand what these mean and how to find these specific capacitors from the manufacturers capacitor datasheet I would really appreciate it. The image bellow is where I have been reading these terms.

upload_2017-7-23_12-34-40.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
maybe this reference is more complete:

http://www.robotoid.com/appnotes/electronics-capacitor-markings.html

Thanks I did see this website before however I'm not sure how to relate that to C code or the single digit number. The closest thing to C code was the letter that gives tolerance but it's definitely not that.

Likes davenn
Mzzed said:
I have recently come across a datasheet for a buck converter regulator that uses the terms "c code" and "No." for certain capacitors

I have never heard of that C code
can you please link to the specific datasheet you were looking at so we can see the context
in which they are referred to

The title of the chart mentioned surface mount capacitors so the code may be valid for that only.

Likes Mzzed
I looked up that Sprague 594D series capacitor's datasheet.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/40002/293d.pdf EDIT WRONG LINK
use

https://www.vishay.com/docs/40006/594d.pdf

They pack a lot of information in them so you have to acquire a knack for reading tech writers' minds...

I think they're using those two characters for case size and termination type.
capacitorcode1.jpg
Perhaps you can study the AVX and KEMET datasheets to support or refute my hypothesis ?

It's curious your source sorts capacitors by inductance...
upload_2017-7-23_20-16-44.png

just how credible are those folks ?

old jim

Last edited:
Likes Mzzed
jim hardy said:
It's curious your source sorts capacitors by inductance...
LOL :smile:

I suspect it just giving you options. For example if the voltage is 7v and you fit a 33u inductor then you fit...

Two capacitors in position C2 if using AVX capacitors or
One capacitor in position C3 if using Sprague or
Two capacitors in position C4 if using Kemet.

This might be necessary if the caps are physically a different size and have a different ESR.

But I might be wrong.

Likes Mzzed
Sorry I should have included the entire datasheet for the buck converter regulator : http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2678.pdf

The datasheet sorts the capacitor selection table by inductance because they are recommending certain capacitor values depending on the inductance you have chosen to place on the output of the circuit.

CWatters said:
I suspect it just giving you options. For example if the voltage is 7v and you fit a 33u inductor then you fit...

Two capacitors in position C2 if using AVX capacitors or
One capacitor in position C3 if using Sprague or
Two capacitors in position C4 if using Kemet.

This might be necessary if the caps are physically a different size and have a different ESR.

But I might be wrong.

It would have helped if I had linked the datasheet in the first place but I believe the c codes and number refer to a specific capacitor value as they choose some for part of an example circuit.

Thanks for all the responses though, they are much better ideas than what I had come up with myself haha

If you look at the footnotes for that table you will find the meaning of the numbers.

BoB

Likes Mzzed
rbelli1 said:
If you look at the footnotes for that table you will find the meaning of the numbers.

BoB
Yeah sorry I discovered I made a mistake and there's actually a table at the beginning of the datasheet that gives the values hahah

1. What is a buck converter regulator?

A buck converter regulator is a type of electronic circuit that converts a higher DC voltage to a lower, regulated DC voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable power supply.

2. What is the purpose of 'C Code' in a buck converter regulator datasheet?

'C Code' refers to the compensation code used in the buck converter regulator. It is used to adjust the feedback loop of the regulator to improve stability and performance.

3. How is the efficiency of a buck converter regulator calculated?

The efficiency of a buck converter regulator is calculated by dividing the output power by the input power. This can be expressed as a percentage and is typically listed in the datasheet.

4. What does 'No.' refer to in a buck converter regulator datasheet?

'No.' typically refers to the number of channels or outputs that the buck converter regulator has. This can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a buck converter regulator?

When selecting a buck converter regulator, it is important to consider factors such as input and output voltage range, current rating, efficiency, and size. Other important factors may include cost, reliability, and compatibility with the specific application.