Understanding Corrective Lenses: Examining Reversed Prescriptions

• B
  • Thread starter Flyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lens
Flyboy
My girlfriend has started wearing corrective lenses to address some nearsightedness and I'm not fully understanding what she's going through, or what the difference is for her with and without glasses. I was curious if you basically reversed the prescription of the lenses, would it take my normal vision and give me an idea of what she's seeing without the lenses?

Science news on Phys.org
I believe that to first approximation that the diopter powers of lenses are additive. So if your friend has a correction of, say, -3.0 diopters you should be able to get a sense for what her uncorrected eyesight is like by wearing +3.0 "reading" glasses. You can find those at a pharmacy. They don't require a prescription and they are inexpensive.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
JT Smith said:
Or maybe I'm wrong.
Nope, you had it right - diopters add. However, there are complicating factors. She may have some astigmatism. Her eyes might have different range of focus from yours, so your eyes might partially compensate for the reading glasses.

A better test is to compare the distances at which you and she can read, for example, street signs.

Likes berkeman
JT Smith said:
You can find those at a pharmacy.
And they are typically just sitting in open display on a shelf or at a small kiosk. They are meant to be tried on, so you don't even have to buy a pair to get an idea. Just look at your GF's Rx and as mentioned above, pick the pair or reading glasses with the complementary Rx in diopters and look around as you stand there. Can you say what her optical Rx is?

Not off the top of my head, wanted to make sure I was understanding the physics right.

I do know she has a little prism to hers, which I don't think reading glasses have, but the reading glasses is a good idea for an approximation.

If 'prism', that suggests a degree of astigmatism. Try rotating her glasses while looking through them. The result may be disconcerting as eg verticals blur vs horizontals, then vice-versa...

1. Can a lens prescription be reversed?

Yes, a lens prescription can be reversed. This process is known as "flipping" or "reversing" the prescription.

2. Why would someone want to reverse a lens prescription?

There are a few reasons why someone might want to reverse a lens prescription. One reason is to correct for astigmatism, which can be achieved by reversing the cylinder and axis values in the prescription. Another reason is to compensate for the effects of aging on the eyes.

3. How is a lens prescription reversed?

To reverse a lens prescription, the cylinder and axis values are flipped. For example, if the original prescription is -2.00 -1.50 x 180, the reversed prescription would be +2.00 +1.50 x 90.

4. Can reversing a lens prescription be done for any type of lens?

Reversing a lens prescription can be done for most types of lenses, including single vision, bifocal, and progressive lenses. However, it is important to consult with an eye care professional before attempting to reverse a prescription, as it may not be suitable for certain types of lenses.

5. Is reversing a lens prescription a permanent solution?

No, reversing a lens prescription is not a permanent solution. It is a temporary fix that can help improve vision in certain situations, but it does not address the underlying vision problem. It is important to regularly consult with an eye care professional to ensure the most accurate and effective prescription for your eyes.