Understanding CP Violation in Two-Body Decay of K Mesons

In summary, the article discusses the discovery of CP violation in the system of neutral K mesons by Cristenson, Cronin, Fitch, and Turlay in 1964. In one point, they mention that the angle of decay should be zero for two-body decays and different from zero for three-body decays. This is due to conservation of longitudinal and transversal momentum, causing the angle to be small for highly boosted kaons. The observed peak at 1 in the right mass range confirms this for two-body decays. For three-body decays, the angle can be different, as it is between the vector sum of momentum and the direction of the kaon.
Vinci128
Hi everyone,
i was reading the article of Cristenson,Cronin,Fitch and Turlay of 1964, the one that discovered CP violation in the system of neutral K mesons. There is one point in it that i don't get it. They say "the angle should be zero for two body decay and is, in general, different from zero for three body decay". Based to what i know, it must be conserved the longitudinal and transversal component of the momentum, so if the boost is high, the angle should be small. It's this the right explanation for the very small angle of decay observed?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which angle? I don't find the quoted text in the original work.

Edit: Oops, typo, found it.

The angle is small for highly boosted kaons, but still notable in most (edit: three-body!) decays - the kaon energy was not that high in their beam.
The observed peak at 1 in the right mass range (and only there) is a clear evidence for two-body decays.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. That's why i don't understand why the angle must be so near to zero.

For a two-body decay, it must be zero (just smeared out by resolution effects). This is just momentum conservation - momentum before is the same as momentum after the decay.

For a three-body decay, the angle can be different.

Likes Vinci128
Thanks, reading the article better i have seen that the angle is between the vector sum of the momentum and the direction of the k meson. I thinked it was between the momentum of the single pion and original direction of the kaon

1. What is the k meson?

The k meson, also known as the kaon, is a subatomic particle composed of a quark and an antiquark. It is a type of meson and is classified as a boson.

2. How does the two body decay of the k meson occur?

The two body decay of the k meson occurs when the meson decays into two particles, usually a pion and another meson. This process is governed by the weak interaction, one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

3. What is the significance of studying the two body decay of the k meson?

Studying the two body decay of the k meson can provide insights into the fundamental forces and particles that govern the universe. It can also help scientists understand the properties and behavior of other particles.

4. How is the two body decay of the k meson measured?

The two body decay of the k meson is measured by detecting the particles produced from the decay and analyzing their properties, such as their energy and momentum. This information can then be used to calculate the decay rate and other characteristics of the k meson.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the two body decay of the k meson?

While the direct applications may not be immediately obvious, understanding the two body decay of the k meson can have implications in fields such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and particle physics research. It can also contribute to our overall understanding of the universe and its fundamental building blocks.