Understanding Doppler Effect

In summary: This gives us f(V/V+Vs).Solving for Vs gives us 3.06 m/s.In summary, the departing trumpet player is moving away at a speed of 3.06 m/s.
Waz

Homework Statement

Two trumpet players are both playing with a pitch of 440 Hz, corresponding to the musical pitch A above middle C. However, one of the trumpet players is marching away from you so that your hear a beat frequency of 4 Hz from the two trumpets. With what speed is the departing trumpet player moving away from you? (The speed of sound in air is 340 m/s)

Homework Equations

f' = f(V+-Vo/V-+Vs)

f2 - f1 = beat frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

How I approached the question was the following:

f' = f(V/V+Vs)
f(V/V+Vs) - f1 = beat

so
440(340/340+Vs) - 440 = 4
which solves to Vs = 3.06 m/s

However, looking at the answer (3.12 m/s) It seems I should have set the equation up as:

440 - 440(340/340+Vs) = 4
which goes to 3.119 m/s

So conceptually speaking, how am I supposed to know how to set up the equation? Is it just what yields a positive answer? or is there something I'm not thinking of. I couldn't find anything specific online. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
How I thought of it is, the player is moving away, so the apparent frequency of the sound from his trumpet should be less than 440.
We know that the difference, or lowering of the frequency, is 4Hz, so f' is 436.
To have a frequency lower than the original, the denominator term of the velocity ratio should be greater. So we add the speed of air and the speed at which he is moving away.

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that describes the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as it moves towards or away from an observer. This effect is commonly observed in sound waves, but it can also occur with other types of waves, such as light.

How does the Doppler Effect work?

The Doppler Effect is caused by the relative motion between the source of a wave and the observer. When the source is moving towards the observer, the wavelength of the wave appears shorter, resulting in a higher frequency. Conversely, when the source is moving away from the observer, the wavelength appears longer, resulting in a lower frequency.

What are some real-life examples of the Doppler Effect?

One common example of the Doppler Effect is the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or police car passes by. As the vehicle moves towards the listener, the sound waves have a higher frequency, creating a higher pitch. As the vehicle moves away, the frequency decreases, resulting in a lower pitch. This effect can also be observed with the sound of a passing train or car horn.

How is the Doppler Effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications in science and technology. It is used in weather radar to measure the speed and direction of moving storms. In astronomy, it is used to determine the movement of stars and planets. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to measure blood flow and heart rate.

What is the difference between the Doppler Effect and the Doppler Shift?

The terms "Doppler Effect" and "Doppler Shift" are often used interchangeably, but technically, the Doppler Shift refers to the change in wavelength or frequency of a wave, while the Doppler Effect is the broader concept that explains this change. In other words, the Doppler Effect is the cause, and the Doppler Shift is the result.