Understanding 'e' in the Compound Interest Formula for Students

• Thread starter d.smith292
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and annoyance of the person regarding a problem involving the use of the number "e". They eventually find the value of the original amount in the account after 15 years using the equation A = Pe^rt. The conversation also touches upon the significance of the number "e" in various fields such as math, biology, and finance.
d.smith292

Homework Statement

Here is the problem that made me confused at first, now I'm just annoyed. I know I got the right answer for this problem as seen below, but I'm annoyed by the fact that no one has explained what the heck "e" is. Will someone please explain to me what exactly "e" is, so I can get past this issue I have. Even though I can figure out the answer, I can't stop thinking about it until I figure out what it is and where it came from. Thank you, who ever helps me with this problem.

After 15 years, there is $10,000 in an account that was compounded continuously at 6%. How much was in the account originally?

Homework Equations

A = Pe^rt

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm searching for P, so I set my equation up like this:

10000 = Pe^.06*15

Then I get:

10000 = Pe^.9

Which leads to:

10000 = P(2.459603111) "Sorry I like to be as precise as possible until the end"

Leaving:

P ≈ 4065.70

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark, when I go to that page, I see "Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name".

d.smith292, "e" is the base of the "natural exponential" function. It is called "natural" because one can show by Calculus that the derivative (rate of change) of the function [itex]f(x)= a^x[/itex] is a constant times [itex]a^x[/itex] itself. It happens that the constant is 1 if a is a specific real number that happens to be approximately 2.718... That is, e is defined as the real number such that the derivative of ex is just ex itself.

HallsofIvy said:
Mark, when I go to that page, I see "Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name".
Thanks! I didn't get all of the URL -- the final parenthesis was missing. I've fixed it now.

e is a number that comes up a lot. It's used for math, bio, finance , etc... You will probably see it in more depth when you learn calculus. For now e is just another constant like π. We assign it a letter because its decimals are non repetitive and non terminating. It's actually very cool when you think about how one particular number is so significant in various different fields. :cool:

Related to Understanding 'e' in the Compound Interest Formula for Students

What is "e" in Pe^rt?

"e" is a mathematical constant, also known as Euler's number, that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a fraction, and it is the base of the natural logarithm function.

Why is "e" important in the formula Pe^rt?

The constant "e" is important in the formula Pe^rt because it represents the continuous growth rate of a quantity over time. This is commonly seen in applications such as compound interest or continuous population growth.

How is "e" calculated?

"e" can be calculated using the infinite series expansion: e = 1 + 1/1! + 1/2! + 1/3! + ... + 1/n!, where n is any positive integer. This series will approach the value of "e" as n gets larger.

What is the relationship between "e" and the natural logarithm function?

The natural logarithm function, represented as ln(x), is the inverse function of e^x. In other words, if e^x = y, then ln(y) = x. This relationship is the basis for using "e" in exponential growth and decay problems.

Are there real-world applications of "e" in science?

Yes, "e" has many applications in science, particularly in fields such as physics, biology, and chemistry. It is used to model continuous growth and decay phenomena, such as radioactive decay, population growth, and chemical reactions. It is also used in probability and statistics to calculate continuous distributions.