Understanding Eigen Functions: A Beginner's Guide

• Thread starter Alekside
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of Eigen Function, Eigen Vector, and Eigen Value, which are concepts from linear algebra and functional analysis. The conversation also mentions that the solutions of differential equations form a vector space and functions that are square integrable also form a vector space. The speaker suggests looking into quantum mechanics and encourages the listener to figure out the problem on their own.
Alekside
Hello
today i learn about Eigen Function, I have many problem about Eigen Fuction

I not understand what the Eigen Fuction, Eigen Vector, Eigen Value?

For Example I not Understand this problem,
show the sinh 2x as not a Eigen Function d2/dx2, Although the equation as d2/dx2 sinh2x = 4 sinh 2x

Physics news on Phys.org
Its a concept from linear algebra, but via that wondrous subject known as functional analysis :p:p:p:p:p, and that the solutions of differential equations form a vector space, and indeed functions with rather weak crireria such as being square intergrable, also form a vector space, it is carried over to that as well:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/BVPEvals.aspx

Hopefully the above link will allow you to nut it out.

Its well worth your time as, not just in QM, but in applied math in general, its an EXTREMLY important copncept.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Alekside
well thanks verry much bill, I will read a minute about QM, so thanks

Alekside said:
well thanks verry much bill, I will read a minute about QM, so thanks

No problem.

If you are still having problems do post back - on this or any issue.

It fairly easy to actually do your question, but its a lot better if you nut it out and do it.

Thanks
Bill

What is an eigenfunction?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when operated on by a linear operator, returns a scalar multiple of itself. It is also known as an eigenvector in linear algebra.

What is the significance of eigenfunctions in science?

Eigenfunctions are important in many areas of science, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations, model physical systems, and analyze data sets.

How are eigenfunctions different from other functions?

Unlike other functions, eigenfunctions are not affected by linear transformations. This means that they maintain their shape and only change in magnitude when operated on by a linear operator.

What are some common examples of eigenfunctions?

Some common examples of eigenfunctions include sine waves, cosine waves, and exponential functions. These functions appear frequently in physical systems and can be described as eigenfunctions of certain linear operators.

How can I identify an eigenfunction?

To identify an eigenfunction, you can check if it satisfies the eigenvalue equation, which is the linear operator acting on the function equals a scalar multiple of the function. You can also use mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or eigenvalue decomposition.