Understanding Einstein Field equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical requirements for understanding the Einstein Field Equations. The suggested topics include Tensor calculus, Reimannian geometry, and Lagrangian mechanics, with specific texts such as "Differential Geometry" by Schaum's Outline and "Tensor Calculus" by Synge and Schild. Other recommendations include "Lectures on General Relativity" by Papapetrou and "Gravitation and Cosmology" by Weinberg. However, the cost of these textbooks is acknowledged and alternatives such as used books and online university courses are suggested.
meyol99
Hello dear Physicists,

I am very curious about understanding the math and the nature properties of the Einstein Field Equations.What I need to know is,what concrete mathematical operations I need to know and understand,and have experience with to understend this theory.I'm a quick learner and one of the best young physicists in my country. But the curiosity never ends.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have some familiarity with Tensor calculus, Reimannian geometry, and Lagrangian mechanics, and all the math those subjects entail. I think that's enough to get going, but others might have more suggestions.

Likes meyol99
It's all down to pseudo-Riemannian geometry. Sort of.

Schaum's Outline "Differential Geometry"
Synge and Schild "Tensor Calculus"
Papapetrou "Lectures on General Relativity"
Weinberg "Gravitation and Cosmology"

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-29_16-7-1.jpeg
    upload_2015-5-29_16-7-1.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 581
Likes meyol99
DEvens said:
It's all down to pseudo-Riemannian geometry. Sort of.

Schaum's Outline "Differential Geometry"
Synge and Schild "Tensor Calculus"
Papapetrou "Lectures on General Relativity"
Weinberg "Gravitation and Cosmology"

Thanks man,but the Papapetrou book is too expensive,do you have any similar replacement ?

Mevludin Licina said:
Thanks man,but the Papapetrou book is too expensive,do you have any similar replacement ?

Used books?

Text books are expensive. There isn't much to be done about it. It is a problem of relatively small numbers of copies sold combined with expense of type-setting equations. You are unlikely to find a cheap version of such a text that is very useful.

Maybe one of the on-line university courses will be helpful. I have not done them lately so the only link I have is this one.

http://www.oeconsortium.org/

I don't know if they even have a general relativity course. But that is the idea of what I am talking about. I think MIT has some on-line classes for free or for cheap.

Likes meyol99

Related to Understanding Einstein Field equations?

1. What are Einstein field equations?

Einstein field equations, also known as the Einstein equations, are a set of ten equations that form the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity. They describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

2. Why are Einstein field equations important?

Einstein field equations are important because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of gravity and the structure of the universe. They have been extensively tested and have been able to accurately predict numerous phenomena, such as the bending of light by massive objects and the existence of gravitational waves.

3. How do Einstein field equations differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Einstein field equations differ from Newton's laws of motion in that they describe gravity as a curvature in space-time rather than a force between objects. While Newton's laws focus on the motion of objects in a flat space, Einstein's equations take into account the curvature of space caused by the presence of matter and energy.

4. Are the Einstein field equations difficult to understand?

The Einstein field equations can be challenging to understand due to their complexity and use of advanced mathematical concepts. However, with the help of illustrations and simplified explanations, it is possible for individuals to gain a basic understanding of these equations.

5. How are Einstein field equations used in scientific research?

Einstein field equations are used in scientific research to model and understand the behavior of gravity and the structure of the universe. They have been used to make predictions about black holes, the expansion of the universe, and the formation of galaxies. Scientists also use these equations to explore the possibility of time travel and the nature of space-time.