Understanding Einstein's Theory of Relativity

In summary, the conservation of mass and energy is a fundamental principle in physics. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, mass and energy are not separately conserved, but rather they are two forms of the same thing. This means that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa, but the total amount of mass-energy remains the same. This is different from the law of conservation of charge, which states that charge cannot be created or destroyed. However, in certain processes, such as electron-positron annihilation, both mass and charge are conserved. It is important to note that this understanding of mass and energy is different from the simplified version taught in schools, where they are seen as separate and conserved independently.
ppr2010
I'm not really a physics genius or professor so forgive my lack of knowledge.
I was thinking about Einstein's theory of relativity earlier,then it just popped into my head doesn't that contradict The Law of Conservation of Charge?Ex:111grams of hydrogen = 10,000,000,000,000,000 Joules.but in order to achieve that amount it will have to be completely destroyed.

I thought matter and energy cannot be destroyed.Is it just converted and what i had read was misleading and inaccurate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass and energy are not separately conserved in relativity. What is conserved is mass-energy, which is found by adding up all the mass and all the energy (after using [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] to convert them both into the same units). Conservation of charge is a separate issue. Charge is conserved. For example, when an electron and an antielectron annihilate one other, the total initial charge is zero, and the total final charge is also zero.

Yes the first time you are exposed to conservation law in school it is typically simplified.

I thought matter and energy cannot be destroyed.Is it just converted and what i had read was misleading and inaccurate.

I wondered how Wikipedia explained mass and energy and found this:

Mass also cannot be created or destroyed, and in all of its forms, has energy. According to the theory of relativity, mass and energy as commonly understood, are two names for the same thing, and neither one is changed or transformed into the other. Rather, neither one appears without the other. Rather than mass being changed into energy, the view of relativity is that rest mass has been changed to a more mobile form of mass, but remains mass. In this process, neither the amount of mass nor the amount of energy changes. Thus, if energy changes type and leaves a system, it simply takes its mass with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass-energy_equivalence#Conservation_of_mass_and_energy

1. What is Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. What are the two types of relativity?

The two types of relativity are special relativity and general relativity. Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating frames of reference, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and acceleration.

3. How did Einstein come up with his theory of relativity?

Einstein developed his theory of relativity through thought experiments and mathematical equations. He was inspired by the work of scientists such as James Clerk Maxwell and Isaac Newton, and his theory was also influenced by his belief in the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers.

4. What are some real-world applications of Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity has been used to develop technologies such as GPS and atomic clocks, which rely on precise measurements of time and space. It has also been used to understand the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

5. Is Einstein's theory of relativity still relevant today?

Yes, Einstein's theory of relativity is still considered one of the most important and influential theories in modern physics. It has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and is used in many areas of science and technology today. It continues to be a topic of research and study for scientists around the world.