Understanding Electromagnetic Waves

In summary, light travels perpendicular to the electric and magnetic fields, which are also perpendicular to each other. This suggests that everywhere in the universe, there is an electric and magnetic field for light to travel through. If we were to find a vacuum with zero fields, light would not be able to travel through it. However, the absence of fields in a certain area does not mean they do not exist elsewhere.
Ian Baughman
So I know that EM waves travel perpendicular to the electric and magnetic fields which are also perpendicular to each other. What I'm having difficulty understanding is since light is an EM wave and can travel through the vacuum of space, does that imply that everywhere in the universe there is an electric and magnetic field? It would seem, according to this, if we could find a vacuum where no such fields existed then light would not be able to travel through it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the fields are zero before light travels through it it does not imply that the fields are zero when light is traveling through it.

The road outside my house has no cars on it at the moment, but that doesn't mean cars can't drive down it.

Ian Baughman said:
So I know that EM waves travel perpendicular to the electric and magnetic fields which are also perpendicular to each other. What I'm having difficulty understanding is since light is an EM wave and can travel through the vacuum of space, does that imply that everywhere in the universe there is an electric and magnetic field? It would seem, according to this, if we could find a vacuum where no such fields existed then light would not be able to travel through it.

Light (the EM wave) is the electric and magnetic fields!

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is produced by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. They are created when charged particles, such as electrons, accelerate.

2. How do electromagnetic waves travel?

Electromagnetic waves travel through space at the speed of light. They do not require a medium to travel, unlike mechanical waves which require a medium, such as air or water.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

4. How are electromagnetic waves used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic waves have many practical applications in our daily lives. They are used in communication technologies, such as radio and television broadcasting, as well as in medical imaging, such as X-rays and MRI scans. They are also used in cooking, heating, and lighting.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength in electromagnetic waves?

The frequency and wavelength of an electromagnetic wave are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: speed of light = frequency x wavelength.