Understanding Entropy & Universe Expansion: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the author of the paper referenced in the wiki article believes that entropy may be related to the slowing down of the universe's expansion, but the theory is not directly supported by General relativity and is more complicated than just saying entropy slows the expansion.
Keith Wright
This is my first post and I need to preface my question by saying I have no physics background, so I'm genuinely asking for help in understanding.

A thought occurred to me about the continuing expansion and acceleration of the universe and I'm asking for your help in understanding where my thinking may be flawed. Because It seems odd that entropy doesn't slow the universe's expansion,
I began thinking why. Is it possible that the black hole at the center of our galaxy is causing the earth, our solar system, and all local systems to move faster as we draw closer to the center? And as a result, we perceive that the universe is speeding up and away, relative to our own "time slowing"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keith Wright said:
Because It seems odd that entropy doesn't slow the universe's expansion
Entropy is not a force that can push or pull on something, so it can't speed things up or slow them down.
Is it possible that the black hole at the center of our galaxy is causing the earth, our solar system, and all local systems to move faster as we draw closer to the center? And as a result, we perceive that the universe is speeding up and away, relative to our own "time slowing"?
No and no. The solar system isn't being drawn closer to that black hole, it's more like the planets orbiting the sun without being pulled into the sun.

Likes Vanadium 50
No

And:
Helo Keith, :welcome:

Do some searching PF and perhaps get a background that way :rolleyes: ...

While there are some interesting papers that suggest there could be a relation between entropy and gravity, it's not a common view, though it is published in a peer reviewed paper. Looking through the wiki article on "entropic gravity", I find https://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0785

The relationship to the title of this thread is that entropy may be related to gravity, and gravity is most likely related to the slowing down of the expansion of the universe, thus entropy may be related to the slowing down of the universal expansion.

This theory is outside the scope of General relativity, though according to the author of the paper, the approach eventually winds up with the Einstein field equations, which is the mathematical heart of General relativity.

However, our sun (and by extension the solar system) is orbiting the center of the galaxy, rather than falling into it, so the above paper probably has little to do with the OP's personal theory.

T

Keith Wright said:
Because It seems odd that entropy doesn't slow the universe's expansion,

You don't need to go to exotic situations: an object in motion remains in motion. Entropy doesn't change that.

pervect said:
gravity is most likely related to the slowing down of the expansion of the universe

But the expansion isn't slowing down now, and hasn't been for the past few billion years. If the Verlinde model in the paper you referenced, or something like it, is correct, it would have to explain accelerated expansion as well as decelerated expansion. Whatever that explanation is, it isn't going to be as simple as "entropy slows the universe's expansion".

Gravity tends to slow the expansion down. Dark energy , aka the cosmological constant, aka quintessence, causes the expansion to accelerate. I assume one can add dark energy to the Verlin model in the same way as one can add it to General relativity but I don't really understand the Verlin model that well, I could be mistaken.

pervect said:
Gravity tends to slow the expansion down.

I would say "matter and radiation", not "gravity" here. "Gravity" here has to mean "spacetime curvature", and dark energy causes spacetime curvature just like matter and radiation do; the difference is the kind of spacetime curvature it causes. So the effects of dark energy are "gravity" just as much as the effects of matter and radiation are.

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In simple terms, it is the tendency of a system to move towards a state of maximum disorder.

2. How does entropy relate to the expansion of the universe?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that as the universe expands and more space is created, the overall entropy of the universe also increases.

3. What is the role of gravity in the expansion of the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the expansion of the universe. It is the force that pulls matter together, counteracting the expansion caused by dark energy. The balance between these two forces determines the rate of expansion of the universe.

4. How does the concept of entropy help us understand the fate of the universe?

The concept of entropy is closely linked to the idea of the "heat death" of the universe. As the universe continues to expand and the entropy increases, it will eventually reach a state of maximum disorder and equilibrium, where no more energy can be extracted. This is known as the "heat death" or "big freeze" scenario.

5. Is the expansion of the universe accelerating or decelerating?

Recent observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is actually accelerating, contrary to what was previously believed. This is due to the presence of dark energy, which is thought to make up about 70% of the universe and is causing the expansion to accelerate at an increasing rate.