Understanding Enzymes: Error Bars, Substrate Drops, and Insulin Structure

In summary, these are general questions that can be answered by learning more about the basics of the biological sciences. Error bars refer to the standard deviation of the y value, which is explained in more detail in the article. Plotting them is easy to do in most software, and the advantage of measuring the volume of gas released from a reaction is explained in the article.
faisal
hello every 1,
i have a few questions
-i'd like to know what error bars are & how did i plot them on a graph?
-can some one please give me a scintific explanation to why small drops of substrate are introduced into a enzyme when trying to find its activity, all i know is that if all the substrate is added to the enzyme all at once, it will be immediately used up, small drops of substrate initiate the reaction but i don't know how?
why is insulin referred to as gobular when it has a quatenary structure?
and what makes an enzyme so specific, is it its spherical shape? or the nature of the enzyme to have only 1 functional region?
how do you calculate the rate of a reaction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
These are very general questions, all of which you should have learned by now.

from what I remember, error bars refer tot he standard deviation of the y value; although there are variations to the concept.

for your second question, refer to the michaleis menton derivation, the equation actually depends on certain assumptions, you should become familiar with them.

especially the last two questions...what makes an enzyme specific, spherical shape, gobular-quaternary structure...come on and how do you not know how to calculate the rate of a reaction?

someone else here may be willing to regurgitate the fundamentals

GCT said:
These are very general questions, all of which you should have learned by now.

from what I remember, error bars refer tot he standard deviation of the y value; although there are variations to the concept.
Usually in the biological sciences, error bars refers to standard error of the mean, which is the standard deviation divided by the square root of the N. You can plot them easily in pretty much any software that does graphing, but without knowing what software is being used, I wouldn't know where to begin to suggest pointers of how to do that.

someone else here may be willing to regurgitate the fundamentals
Not until faisal shows some attempt at the answers first. :wink:

thanx for the info, i have another question how does the mass of the substrate affect the rate of the reaction?
whats the advantage of meassuring the volume of gas released from the rate of a reaction to +/-0.1cm3?

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Enzymes: Error Bars, Substrate Drops, and Insulin Structure

What are error bars?

Error bars are graphical representations of the variability or uncertainty in a measurement or data point. They are used to show the potential range of values that a data point could fall within.

Why are error bars important in scientific research?

Error bars are important because they provide information about the accuracy and precision of a measurement or data point. They allow researchers to visualize the variability in their data and make more informed conclusions about the reliability of their results.

How are error bars calculated?

There are several ways to calculate error bars, but the most common method is to use standard deviation. This involves calculating the average of the data points, then calculating the difference between each data point and the average, squaring those differences, adding them together, dividing by the number of data points, and finally taking the square root of the result. This gives the standard deviation, which is then used to determine the length of the error bars.

What do different types of error bars represent?

Different types of error bars can represent different measures of variability, such as standard deviation, standard error, or confidence intervals. They can also represent different types of data, such as continuous or categorical.

How can error bars be interpreted?

The interpretation of error bars depends on the type of error bar used and the context of the data. Generally, longer error bars indicate higher variability or uncertainty, while shorter error bars indicate lower variability or uncertainty. It is important to consider the specific type of error bar and the data being represented when interpreting them.