Understanding Feynman Rules for ABC Theory

In summary: So in summary, the book of david j. griffiths says that if there is only an interaction between particles A and B of the form A^2 B^2, then the process A->BB cannot occur.
ercagpince
[SOLVED] feynman rules

Hi , It is a simple question from the book of david j .griffiths :"introduction to elementary particles" (6.11)

Homework Statement

(a) Is A--->B+B a possible process in the ABC theory (feynman rules for a toy theory)
(b)Suppose a diagram has nA external A lines , nB external B lines and nC external C lines. Develop a simple criterion for determining whether it is an allowed reaction .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)I presume that if A is heavier than both B particles it should be a legitimate process .
I am not sure whether there is any extra information needed for this question.
(b)It is related to (a) , so I am certainly missing something .

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to tell us what the theory is. There may be conservation laws. For example, in phi^4 theory, particle number is conserved modulo two, so if you start with an even (odd) number of particles, you always end with an even (odd) number.

There are a bunch of feynman rules for this ABC theory but none of them is relevant with the possibility of a certain decay or scattering process . At least it is not indicated in the book .

The relevant parts are the types of lines that are connected by each vertex.

I don't get it , there is no specific particle for the process (a) .
What then does determine the possibility of it ?

you just have to take into account all the conservation laws don´t you ?
But that´s no simple criterion at all ?

ercagpince said:
I don't get it , there is no specific particle for the process (a). What then does determine the possibility of it ?

Suppose, for example, the only interaction in the lagrangian was A^2 B^2. Then the process A->BB could not occur. If there was an interaction of the form A B^2, then it would occur.

The interaction terms in the lagrangian determine the types of vertices you can have in Feynman diagrams, so it would be equivalent to know what all the allowed vertices are. Which is why I asked for that info.

I see ,
Thank you .

Related to Understanding Feynman Rules for ABC Theory

1. What is ABC theory?

ABC theory is a theoretical framework in particle physics proposed by Nobel laureate physicist Richard Feynman. It is an extension of the Standard Model of particle physics and aims to explain the fundamental forces of nature through the exchange of particles.

2. What are Feynman rules?

Feynman rules are a set of mathematical rules used to calculate the probability of a particle interaction in ABC theory. They are based on the Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions.

3. How are Feynman rules used in ABC theory?

Feynman rules are used to calculate the amplitude and probability of a particle interaction in ABC theory. These rules involve assigning mathematical expressions to each vertex and propagator in a Feynman diagram to determine the overall probability of the interaction.

4. What is the significance of Feynman rules in ABC theory?

Feynman rules are essential in ABC theory as they provide a powerful tool for calculating and predicting particle interactions. They also allow for the testing and validation of the theory through experimental results.

5. Are Feynman rules difficult to understand?

Feynman rules may seem complex at first, but with practice and a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, they can be easily understood. There are also many resources available, such as textbooks and online tutorials, to aid in understanding and applying Feynman rules in ABC theory.