Understanding Force Components in a Hanging Box System

In summary: Please write down the force balances in the vertical and horizontal directions in terms of the components of F2 in the horizontal and vertical directions that you just determined.F2 = <|F2|cos(theta), |F2|sin(theta), 0>And its magnitude is equal,|F2| = sqrt((|F2|cos(theta))^2 + (|F2|sin(theta))^2)= sqrt(|F2|^2 * (cos^2 (theta) + sin^2 (theta)))= sqrt(|F2|^2)= |F2|
StudentElias

Homework Statement

A box of mass X kg hangs motionless from two ropes, as shown in the diagram. The angle of rope 1 is specified amount of degrees. Choose the box as the system. The x-axis runs to the right, the y-axis runs up, and the z-axis is out of the page.

What is the magnitude of |F2|?

Homework Equations

[/B]
The equation for finding the magnitude of the force is Force/cos(theta).
The equation for finding the force on the x-axis is |F2|sin(theta).

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I understand that the formula for |F2| is F2y/cos(theta), but I was wondering what the concept behind it would be? My book describes it as using "directional" cosines? It

Also, for F2x, I'm extremely confused as to why the F2 needs to be multiplied by sin(theta), rather than cosine theta, other than it just giving you F2y. My book doesn't say anything about finding F2x, but is it related to taking the derivative of cosine?
It seems counter-intuitive to use cosine for the y-axis and sine for the x axis, but that's the process to get the same value as the correct answer?

Here's the free body diagram:
gXZ5KY1.png

Attachments

• gXZ5KY1.png
    gXZ5KY1.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To carry out a force balance in the vertical direction, in terms of the magnitude of F1, what is the component of F1 in the vertical direction?

I named the ropes inversely, but F1 would be 0 because it's the flat line. Sorry about the mixup, I'll fix that.
F2 is the opposite of gravity because it cancels out gravity's force, so -mg.

StudentElias said:
I named the ropes inversely, but F1 would be 0 because it's the flat line. Sorry about the mixup, I'll fix that.
F2 is the opposite of gravity because it cancels out gravity's force, so -mg.
No. F2 is not equal to mg. In terms of the magnitude of F2, what is the vertical component of F2?

I thought the vertical component was the opposite of mg, but is it mg times sin(theta) rather than that?

StudentElias said:
I thought the vertical component was the opposite of mg, but is it mg times sin(theta) rather than that?
Like I said, in terms of the magnitude of ##F_2##, what is the component of ##F_2## in the vertical direction.

Would it be this?
|F2y| = Fgrav + Ftension
I'm not quite sure what else it could be than that. It seems to be what would be the actual equation for it though. There's just no acceleration in the problem, which would cause it to be canceled out.

Last edited:
StudentElias said:
Would it be this?
|F2y| = Fgrav + Ftension
I'm not quite sure what else it could be than that..
In terms of the magnitude of F2, the component of F2 in the vertical direction is $$F_{2y}=|F_2|\sin{\theta}$$Does this make sense to you? If so, then, in terms of the magnitude of F2, what is the component of F2 in the horizontal direction?

Oh. For this problem, doing that made my homework site count it wrong for some reason, so I ruled it out.

F2x would equal |F2|cos(theta) based on that.

F2 would be the weight plus any force being exerted that moves it, but it's not moving so it's just the weight?

StudentElias said:
Oh. For this problem, doing that made my homework site count it wrong for some reason, so I ruled it out.

F2x would equal |F2|cos(theta) based on that.

F2 would be the weight plus any force being exerted that moves it, but it's not moving so it's just the weight?
No. Please write down the force balances in the vertical and horizontal directions in terms of the components of F2 in the horizontal and vertical directions that you just determined.

F2 = <|F2|cos(theta), |F2|sin(theta), 0>
And its magnitude is equal,
|F2| = sqrt((|F2|cos(theta))^2 + (|F2|sin(theta))^2)
= sqrt(|F2|^2 * (cos^2 (theta) + sin^2 (theta)))
= sqrt(|F2|^2)
= |F2|

For some reason |F2| came out equal to F2y/cos(theta) on my homework, but that's saying that |F2| is also equal to |F2|sin(theta)/cos(theta) or |F2|tan(theta)? Is it just coincidence?

StudentElias said:
F2 = <|F2|cos(theta), |F2|sin(theta), 0>
And its magnitude is equal,
|F2| = sqrt((|F2|cos(theta))^2 + (|F2|sin(theta))^2)
= sqrt(|F2|^2 * (cos^2 (theta) + sin^2 (theta)))
= sqrt(|F2|^2)
= |F2|

For some reason |F2| came out equal to F2y/cos(theta) on my homework, but that's saying that |F2| is also equal to |F2|sin(theta)/cos(theta) or |F2|tan(theta)? Is it just coincidence?
You don't seem to want to answer my question, so I'll answer it myself (again).

FORCE BALANCES
$$|F_2|\sin{\theta}-mg=0$$
$$|F_2|\cos{\theta}-F_1=0$$
Do you agree with these equations? If you solve the first equation for ##|F_2|##, what do you get? If you substitute that result into the 2nd equation and solve for ##F_1##, what do you get?

I didn't quite realize what you meant by force balances, I'm really sorry about that. For some reason I saw "components of F2" and assumed it to be the components in the vector.
It would end up as:
|F2| = mg/sin(theta)

And lead to:
F1 = mgcos(theta)/sin(theta)

I think I see what I wasn't connecting together now, thank you.

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the concept of force components?

The concept of force components is the division of a single force into two or more forces acting in different directions. This allows for the analysis of a force in terms of its horizontal and vertical components, which can be easier to understand and calculate in certain situations.

2. How are force components calculated?

Force components can be calculated using trigonometric functions, specifically sine and cosine. The magnitude of the horizontal component is equal to the original force multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the force and the horizontal axis. The magnitude of the vertical component is equal to the original force multiplied by the sine of the angle between the force and the horizontal axis.

3. What is the significance of force components in physics?

Force components are important in physics because they allow for the analysis of forces in two dimensions, which is often necessary in real-world scenarios. They also help in understanding the net force acting on an object, as the sum of the horizontal and vertical components equals the total force.

4. Can force components be negative?

Yes, force components can be negative. This occurs when the force acts in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive x-axis is to the right and a force is acting to the left, its horizontal component would be negative.

5. How are force components used in problem-solving?

Force components are used in problem-solving by breaking down a force into its components and applying Newton's laws of motion to analyze its effects on an object. They can also be used to determine the direction and magnitude of a resultant force, which is the combined effect of multiple forces acting on an object.