Understanding Fraction Simplification

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the conversion of $\frac{1}{^4\sqrt{1 + x}}$ to $\frac{4}{3}(1 + x)^\frac{3}{4}$ and the request for a step-by-step explanation. The expert suggests that these are not equivalent and appears to be an attempt at integrating an improper equation. The expert also provides a solution for the integration and determines that the integral is divergent.
shamieh
Confused on how we go from

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{^4\sqrt{1 + x}}\) to \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}(1 + x)^\frac{3}{4}\)

Can someone please show me step-by-step. I need to see the basic steps.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Confused on how we go from

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{^4\sqrt{1 + x}}\) to \(\displaystyle \frac{4}{3}(1 + x)^\frac{3}{4}\)

Can someone please show me step-by-step. I need to see the basic steps.

Thanks in advance.

These things are NOT the same, so you can't "convert" them...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{\sqrt[4]{1 + x}} &= \frac{1}{ \left( 1 + x \right) ^{\frac{1}{4}} } \\ &= \left( 1 + x \right) ^{-\frac{1}{4}} \end{align*}$

It APPEARS though that you are trying to ANTIDIFFERENTIATE (Integrate) this function, which you should be able to do now...

Ahh! Thank you!(Yes)

- - - Updated - - -

And this particular problem would be divergent since you would get \(\displaystyle a^{3/4}\)which is > 1 correct?

shamieh said:
Ahh! Thank you!(Yes)

- - - Updated - - -

And this particular problem would be divergent since you would get \(\displaystyle a^{3/4}\)which is > 1 correct?

What on EARTH are you talking about? WHAT is divergent? WHAT are you actually trying to do with this question?

Oh sorry the original problem is the equation up top as \(\displaystyle \int^\infty_0\) and it's improper so i rewrote it as \(\displaystyle \int^a_0\) thus; \(\displaystyle \lim_{a\to\infty}\) and I ended up with a underneath the \(\displaystyle \sqrt{} \)to the \(\displaystyle ^3\) power.

- - - Updated - - -

The initial question of the problem was Determine whether or not the integral is convergent or divergent. Sorry, forgot to include that.

So essentially I had this \(\displaystyle \lim_{a\to\infty} \frac{4}{3}(1 + a)^{3/4} - \frac{4}{3}\) so I'm guessing since it's \(\displaystyle \infty\) in the square root it's always going to keep growing no matter what and be Divergent

Related to Understanding Fraction Simplification

1. What does it mean to "rewrite confusing fractions"?

Rewriting confusing fractions is the process of simplifying or expressing fractions in a more clear and understandable form.

2. How do you rewrite a confusing fraction?

To rewrite a confusing fraction, you can follow these steps:

• Identify the numerator (top number) and denominator (bottom number) of the fraction.
  • Determine if the fraction can be simplified by finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator.
  • Divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF to simplify the fraction.
  • If the fraction cannot be simplified, you can convert it to a mixed number or decimal for easier understanding.

3. When should I rewrite a confusing fraction?

You should consider rewriting a confusing fraction when it is difficult to understand or work with in its current form. This can be when the fraction has large numbers, multiple fractions within a larger fraction, or when it is not in its simplest form.

4. Can all confusing fractions be rewritten?

Yes, all fractions can be rewritten in a simpler form. However, the simplification may result in a decimal or mixed number, which may or may not be more understandable depending on the context.

5. How do I know if I have rewritten a fraction correctly?

You can check if you have rewritten a fraction correctly by following these steps:

• Simplify the fraction to its simplest form.
  • Multiply the simplified fraction by the original denominator.
  • If the result is equal to the original numerator, then you have rewritten the fraction correctly.