Understanding Free Fall: Debunking Common Misconceptions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object in freefall and whether the statements given are true or not. The correct statement is C, as the object gains an equal amount of kinetic energy for each meter it falls. Other correct statements include A, which states that the object gains an equal amount of momentum for each second it falls, and D, which states that the object gains an equal amount of kinetic energy for each second it falls. B and E are incorrect as they do not take into account the constant acceleration of gravity. The conversation also mentions the use of equations and graphs to better understand the concept.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

1. An object is in freefall on Earth. Which of the following statements is true?
    1. A) The object is gaining an equal amount of momentum for each second it is in free fall.
    2. B) The object is gaining an equal amount of momentum for each meter it falls.
    3. C) The object is gaining an equal amount of kinetic energy for each meter it falls.
    4. D) The object is gaining an equal amount of kinetic energy for each second it falls.
    5. E) The object is gaining an equal amount of speed for each meter it falls.

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers say that the right answer is C. While I understand that there is a constant acceleration of gravity "g," I understand that for each second, there will be an increase in velocity of 9.8. This makes C incorrect, as they say for each meter, and not for a second that the object falls.

Could anyone please explain why each particular answer is wrong, and why C is right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how much you weigh on the ground floor of a building versus how much you weigh on the third floor? What does this say about the force (thinking like Newton) the Earth apples to you? What did Newton say about masses and forces?

RoboNerd said:
I understand that for each second, there will be an increase in velocity of 9.8.
That's true.

RoboNerd said:
This makes C incorrect, as they say for each meter, and not for a second that the object falls.
How does a statement about each second relate to C, which is about each meter?

Hint: What does conservation of energy tell you?

RoboNerd said:
The answers say that the right answer is C.
C is correct, but it's not the only correct choice.

Paul Colby said:
Think about how much you weigh on the ground floor of a building versus how much you weigh on the third floor? What does this say about the force (thinking like Newton) the Earth apples to you? What did Newton say about masses and forces?
I weigh less on the third floor than on the ground floor. This means that the force of gravity is weaker as according to Newton F = m * acceleration.

Doc Al said:
How does a statement about each second relate to C, which is about each meter?
Hint: What does conservation of energy tell you?

Conservation of energy shows that my potential energy per meter is converted to kinetic energy per meter.
Namely: mg ( 1 meter ) = (1/2) * m * v^2.

So thus, I now see why C is right. Which other answers are also right, as there is more than one right answer?

RoboNerd said:
Which other answers are also right, as there is more than one right answer?

I note you don't list any relevant equations. Since most of the questions ask about momentum or KE wouldn't it be good to cite the basic equations/definitions for momentum and KE?

Are you also familiar with the equations of motion for constant acceleration?

Likes RoboNerd
Are you also familiar with straight line graphs and what they mean? eg If the graph is a straight line it means there is a linear relationship. For example (Question C) a plot of KE vs Displacement would be a straight line.

Likes RoboNerd
RoboNerd said:
Which other answers are also right, as there is more than one right answer?
You tell us! :smile:

(Follow CWatters' advice.)

RoboNerd said:
I weigh less on the third floor than on the ground floor. This means that the force of gravity is weaker as according to Newton F = m * acceleration.

While what you say is true, I believe the standard physics class assumption is that the gravitational field on the ground is approximated by a constant ##9.8m/s^2##. In this limit isn't A true since ##\frac{d mv}{dt} = m\frac{dv}{dt} = \text{constant}##

Likes RoboNerd
Paul Colby said:
While what you say is true, I believe the standard physics class assumption is that the gravitational field on the ground is approximated by a constant ##9.8m/s^2##. In this limit isn't A true since ##\frac{d mv}{dt} = m\frac{dv}{dt} = \text{constant}##
Yes, I think you can safely assume a constant acceleration.

Likes RoboNerd
CWatters said:
Are you also familiar with the equations of motion for constant acceleration?
Yes.
Paul Colby said:
While what you say is true, I believe the standard physics class assumption is that the gravitational field on the ground is approximated by a constant 9.8m/s29.8m/s29.8m/s^2. In this limit isn't A true since dmvdt=mdvdt=constant
Yes. This means that A is true.

RoboNerd said:
B) The object is gaining an equal amount of momentum for each meter it falls.
Let's examine this one. If an object falls, its velocity will vary due to the constant acceleration of gravity. However momentum is p = m * v, so the force of gravity is going to cause an Fg = dp/dt, the change in momentum with respect to time, not with respect to distance dy, so I think this answer is wrong.

We already identified C as the right answer.

RoboNerd said:
D) The object is gaining an equal amount of kinetic energy for each second it falls.
This might be true. For each second, we have a constant acceleration, which leads to the gaining of the same amount of velocity, which is related to kinetic energy. Thus increasing velocity at a constant rate would increase K.E. at a constant rate as well.

RoboNerd said:
    1. E) The object is gaining an equal amount of speed for each meter it falls.

Obviously not true. The object is falling down with an increasing speed per second due to increased acceleration, so over time, it will zip through a one meter time frame much quicker and gain less speed through that.

What do you all think about my thoughts?

RoboNerd said:
Yes. This means that A is true.
Good.

RoboNerd said:
Let's examine this one. If an object falls, its velocity will vary due to the constant acceleration of gravity. However momentum is p = m * v, so the force of gravity is going to cause an Fg = dp/dt, the change in momentum with respect to time, not with respect to distance dy, so I think this answer is wrong.
Good.

RoboNerd said:
This might be true. For each second, we have a constant acceleration, which leads to the gaining of the same amount of velocity, which is related to kinetic energy. Thus increasing velocity at a constant rate would increase K.E. at a constant rate as well.
Careful here. Does an equal increase in speed mean an equal increase in KE? Play with few numbers and test that reasoning. (Try comparing the change in KE in going from 5 m/s to 10 m/s to the change in going from 10 m/s to 15 m/s.)

RoboNerd said:
Obviously not true. The object is falling down with an increasing speed per second due to increased acceleration, so over time, it will zip through a one meter time frame much quicker and gain less speed through that.
Good.

Doc Al said:
Careful here. Does an equal increase in speed mean an equal increase in KE? Play with few numbers and test that reasoning. (Try comparing the change in KE in going from 5 m/s to 10 m/s to the change in going from 10 m/s to 15 m/s.)

Nope, it will not.

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity, with no other forces acting upon it. It is a type of motion where the only acceleration acting on an object is due to gravity, and it is generally represented by the acceleration of 9.8 m/s² on Earth.

2. How is free fall different from other types of motion?

Unlike other types of motion, free fall does not have any other forces acting on the object besides gravity. This means that the object is only accelerating due to gravity and is not being influenced by any external factors such as air resistance or friction.

3. What is the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is 9.8 m/s² on Earth. This value is constant and is the same for all objects, regardless of their mass or size. This is known as the acceleration due to gravity or the gravitational acceleration.

4. Can objects experience free fall in space?

Yes, objects can experience free fall in space if they are under the influence of a gravitational force. In space, there is no air resistance or other forces to oppose the motion, so the object will continue to accelerate until it reaches a terminal velocity.

5. What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

Free fall is a type of motion where an object is only accelerating due to gravity, while terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. In free fall, the object is constantly accelerating, while in terminal velocity, the object has reached a constant speed and is no longer accelerating.