Understanding frequency and dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the terms "frequency" and "dynamics" and how they are related intuitively. The concept of each term is individually understood, with frequency being defined in physics and dynamics referring to the movement of a system given an external force. However, the concept of high-frequency dynamics is causing difficulty in understanding. It is suggested that high-frequency dynamics refers to short durations and can be analyzed separately from longer durations to simplify the analysis.
rrdrr8556
Can someone please explain intuitively how the terms “frequency” and “dynamics” are related ? I understand the concept of each of these two individually, but I am having some difficulty visualizing what high-frequency dynamics mean.

I understand the concept of how time and frequency domains work using the Fourier transforms. Essentially, in time domain all signals can be considered to be a sequence of sine waves of different frequencies added together. Using FT, the individual components can be seen separately.

I also understand that dynamics refers to an ordinary differential equation of how a system moves, given an external force. I understand this essentially in time domain, where typically a second order system is solved to get the time history of the position, velocity and acceleration.

However, I am completely stumped trying to understand how dynamics relates to frequency. What does the term “high-frequency” dynamics mean? I mean I can compute the equivalent transfer function and look at the damping ratio but how does all this relate to frequency response?

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't find any formula for dynamics. I would guess it relates to the rate of change of amplitude?

Frequency is well defined in physics. Dynamics less so. Dynamic can simply mean not static. I would t get too hung up on the meaning of dynamics

I expect that high frequency dynamics refers to short durations. When lightning hits a power line, the dynamics of what happens in the first microsecond can be analyzed separately than what happens in the first milliseconds, which an be separated from what happens in the first second. You simplify your analysis by pruning away effects that are too fast or too slow to be of interest.

1. What is frequency and how is it measured?

Frequency is the number of occurrences of a repeating event per unit of time. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) which represents the number of cycles per second.

2. How does frequency affect dynamics?

Frequency and dynamics are closely related as changes in frequency can impact the amplitude or loudness of a sound. Higher frequencies tend to have a more piercing or shrill sound, while lower frequencies have a deeper or more bass-like quality.

3. How does understanding frequency and dynamics help in the study of sound?

Understanding frequency and dynamics is crucial in the study of sound as it allows scientists to analyze and manipulate sound waves. This knowledge is essential in fields such as acoustics, audio engineering, and music production.

4. What factors can affect the frequency and dynamics of a sound?

The frequency and dynamics of a sound can be affected by various factors, including the characteristics of the sound source, the medium through which the sound is traveling, and the distance between the sound source and the receiver.

5. How can we use frequency and dynamics in practical applications?

Frequency and dynamics have many practical applications, such as in speech recognition technology, noise cancellation, and medical imaging. They are also crucial in fields such as telecommunications and sonar technology.