Understanding Friction Graph: Identify Segments

In summary, the graph represents force and motion, with the first few seconds showing a horizontal line at 0. The third segment drops from the peak due to reaching the peak of static friction, which then converts to kinetic friction when the object starts moving. The tension force will be equal to the amount of force applied until the peak of static friction is reached. The kinetic friction is nearly constant due to the relationship between force and motion. The segment(s) where the tension was greater than the friction force is the 3rd and 4th, where kinetic friction is opposing the motion. The segment(s) where the tension force equaled the friction force is the 2nd segment, where static friction is present.
petern
Here is a pic of the graph:

2h7pfn4.gif

Can someone explain to me what each of the four segments represents (not shown but assume there is a horizontal line at 0 for the first few seconds)? I am especially confused about the third segment where it suddenly drops from the peak.

Then, please answer and explain:

Identify the segment(s) where the tension was greater than the friction force. (I chose 3rd and 4th but it's wrong)

Identify the segment(s) where kinetic friction was opposing the motion. (I chose 4th but it's wrong)

Identify the segment(s) where the tension force equaled the friction force. (I chose 2nd but it was wrong)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are supposed to show an attempt at the answers, but I'll answer one part for you.

The reason that the graph suddenly drops from the peak is because the force on the object has reached the peak of the static friction which then converts to kinetic friction when it starts moving. Static friction will be equal to the amount of force that you apply to the object until you reach its peak. That is why it is called static friction, because the object won't move. Kinetic friction is the friction after static friction is peaked and the object is moving. Because the more force you apply on the object, the faster it goes, it is reasonable to suggest that the kinetic friction is nearly constant.

Suppose you have a big textbook lying on a table. You will notice that when you push on the textbook lightly, it will not move, however, if you keep pushing harder, eventually you will notice that the book will jolt forward and move smoothly as long as you don't stop it again. When it jolts, you have overcome the static friction, and the now weaker force against your pushing is kinetic friction.

Math Jeans said:
You are supposed to show an attempt at the answers, but I'll answer one part for you.

The reason that the graph suddenly drops from the peak is because the force on the object has reached the peak of the static friction which then converts to kinetic friction when it starts moving. Static friction will be equal to the amount of force that you apply to the object until you reach its peak. That is why it is called static friction, because the object won't move. Kinetic friction is the friction after static friction is peaked and the object is moving. Because the more force you apply on the object, the faster it goes, it is reasonable to suggest that the kinetic friction is nearly constant.

Suppose you have a big textbook lying on a table. You will notice that when you push on the textbook lightly, it will not move, however, if you keep pushing harder, eventually you will notice that the book will jolt forward and move smoothly as long as you don't stop it again. When it jolts, you have overcome the static friction, and the now weaker force against your pushing is kinetic friction.

Thanks for the reply, but I did show an attempt. I put in parenthesis the answers I chose but they were wrong. According to your explanation, the second segment (where there is static friction) would have tension that is equal to the friction force. I don't understand why this was marked wrong.

Delete. I accidentally posted twice.

Related to Understanding Friction Graph: Identify Segments

1. What is a friction graph?

A friction graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the frictional force and the applied force on an object. It shows how the frictional force changes as the applied force increases or decreases.

2. How do you identify segments on a friction graph?

To identify segments on a friction graph, you need to look at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a higher frictional force, while a flatter slope indicates a lower frictional force. You can also look at the points where the line changes direction or flattens out, as this indicates a change in the type of friction present.

3. What do the different segments on a friction graph represent?

The different segments on a friction graph represent different types of friction. The initial steep segment represents static friction, which is the force needed to overcome the initial resistance and start an object in motion. The flatter segments represent kinetic friction, which is the force required to keep an object moving at a constant velocity. There may also be a segment where the line flattens out, indicating that the object has reached terminal velocity.

4. How does the weight of an object affect the segments on a friction graph?

The weight of an object affects the segments on a friction graph by changing the magnitude of the frictional force. As the weight of an object increases, the frictional force also increases, resulting in a steeper slope on the graph. This is because the weight of an object is a factor in determining the normal force, which is the force acting perpendicular to the surface and affects the strength of the frictional force.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding friction graphs?

Understanding friction graphs has various real-world applications, such as in designing and improving transportation systems, determining the appropriate materials to use in construction, and optimizing the performance of machinery. It is also crucial in sports, as friction plays a significant role in activities such as running, skating, and cycling. Additionally, understanding friction graphs can help in predicting and preventing accidents and improving overall safety in various industries.