Understanding Fuel Hose Markings: What Does "NOH-F" Mean?

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fuel Hose
YoshiMoshi
TL;DR Summary
What does "NOH-F" marking mean on fuel hose?
Ok the fuel hoses on my car, I see "NOH-F" written on them, along with some numbers. Just googling fuel hose, it seems "NOH-F" is on most fuel hoses. But what does it mean? I tried to search Google for an answer, but nothing.
IMG_20231119_104016657.jpg

I hope somebody ok here can tell me the meaning, if it's some sort of specification or something?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fuel hoses are usually made from NBR (nitrile butadiene rubber), which is oil resistant.

-F; probably means the hose is rated for fuel, electrically conductive, to prevent fire started by static electricity discharge.

"NOH" is not a standard code or abreviation. You will probably need to find the "TAS", "IAS" or "IHS", manufacturer's website to identify the product line or meaning. Nitrile Oil Hose ?

Likes Lnewqban
That hose should have a marking showing SAE 30 followed by some numbers as well.

Likes florida23
Believe the numbers indicate when the hose will start to bend? Not sure on the unit of measurement though....

florida23 said:
Believe the numbers indicate when the hose will start to bend? Not sure on the unit of measurement though....
You mean like the bend radius?

After spending too much time, here is what turned up:

Used for plumbing an oil cooler or a transmission cooler (thus high temperature & pressure)

NOH-F probably an industry rating for hose material & chemical/temperature resistance

3402 eiher a manufacturerers style/class number OR a subset of the NOH-F

Gates Rubber site shows similiar for oil/transmission cooler plumbing
https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-p...ion-oil-cooler-hose.p.3289-000000-000001.html

(found with Google searches for:
noh-f 3402 hose
noh-f "3402" hose)

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Tom

The internal diameter of hoses, and hose fittings, are specified in multiples of 1/16".
A 1" hose will be -16. A 1/2" hose will be -08. A 1/4" hose will be -02.
If that hose is a 1/4" hose, then the -02 probably specifies internal diameter.
The 34 then, is then probably the construction style of the hose, from that manufacturer.

1. What does "NOH-F" stand for on a fuel hose?

The marking "NOH-F" on a fuel hose typically stands for "Non-Oil Hose - Fuel." This indicates that the hose is designed for fuel applications but is not suitable for oil or oil-based products.

2. Can NOH-F hoses be used for any type of fuel?

NOH-F hoses are generally suitable for various types of fuel, including gasoline and diesel. However, it is crucial to check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure compatibility with specific fuel types, especially for biofuels or highly corrosive fuels.

3. Are there any safety standards associated with NOH-F fuel hoses?

Yes, NOH-F fuel hoses must meet specific safety standards, which can vary by country and application. These standards ensure that the hose can safely handle the pressure, temperature, and chemical properties of the fuel. Common standards include ISO, SAE, and ASTM.

4. How do I properly maintain a NOH-F fuel hose?

Maintaining a NOH-F fuel hose involves regular inspections for cracks, wear, and leaks. It is also important to ensure that the hose is properly stored away from direct sunlight and extreme temperatures to prevent degradation. Following the manufacturer’s maintenance guidelines is crucial for safety and longevity.

5. What is the typical lifespan of a NOH-F fuel hose?

The lifespan of a NOH-F fuel hose can vary depending on the usage conditions, the quality of the hose, and maintenance practices. Typically, a well-maintained fuel hose can last several years. Always replace the hose if any signs of deterioration or damage are observed, regardless of its age.