Understanding Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for the differential flux of atmospheric muons, which is a fit to the data and has an energy dependence of E^-2.7 and an angle dependence. The source for the equation is a textbook called "Cosmic Rays and Particle Physics" by Thomas K. Gaisser, but the individual is struggling to understand it. They are looking for additional resources to help them understand the equation.
Anchovy
Hi all,

I'm wondering about an equation for the differential flux of atmospheric muons that looks like this:

[tex] \frac{dN_{\mu}}{dE_{\mu}} \approx \frac{0.14 E^{-2.7}}{cm^{2}.s.sr.GeV} \Bigg\{ \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1.1 E_{\mu}cos(\theta)}{115 GeV}} + \frac{0.054}{1 + \frac{1.1 E_{\mu}cos(\theta)}{850 GeV}} \Bigg\}[/tex]

Despite trawling the net, the only source I can find for it is one textbook (Cosmic Rays and Particle Physics, Thomas K. Gaisser (1990)). However, I'm finding this textbook pretty impenetrable. I want to understand how this equation was arrived at. I'm guessing based on this book it's a difficult thing to explain here but if anyone knows of any document that can get me to at least semi-understand this I would be most grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a fit to the data. Main part is an E^-2.7 energy dependence. The rest is angle dependence.

Related to Understanding Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization?

1. What is Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization?

Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization is a mathematical model developed by physicist Thomas K. Gaisser to describe the number of muons (a type of subatomic particle) that are produced in the Earth's atmosphere by cosmic ray interactions. It takes into account factors such as the energy of the cosmic rays and the density of the atmosphere.

2. Why is understanding Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization important?

Understanding Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization is important for various fields of study, including astrophysics, particle physics, and atmospheric science. This model helps scientists better understand the behavior of cosmic rays and their effects on the Earth's atmosphere, as well as the production of muons in high-energy particle collisions.

3. How was Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization developed?

Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization was developed through extensive research and data analysis of cosmic ray interactions and muon production in the Earth's atmosphere. Gaisser and his colleagues used experimental evidence and theoretical calculations to create a mathematical model that accurately describes the behavior of muons in the atmosphere.

4. What are the limitations of Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization?

Like any scientific model, Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, and may not accurately predict muon production in all scenarios. Additionally, the model may need to be updated as new data and research become available.

5. How is Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization used in practical applications?

Gaisser's atmospheric muon parameterization is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of particle detectors for high-energy physics experiments and in the analysis of data from these experiments. It is also used to study the composition and behavior of cosmic rays and their impact on the Earth's atmosphere.