Understanding Gravity: Exploring its Relationship to Other Fundamental Forces

• Thread starter mangaroosh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, there are 4 fundamental interactions in the universe: the weak and strong atomic forces, electromagnetism, and gravity. The weak and strong atomic forces, as well as electromagnetism, are believed to be manifestations of the same force known as the Grand Unified Theory (GUT). However, gravity is not included in GUT and is seen as a result of spacetime curvature according to General Relativity. This sets gravity apart from the other interactions, which are explained by the exchange of particles. The challenge for scientists is to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity into a theory of everything that can reconcile these two theories in situations where they both apply.
mangaroosh
hey, just have a general question about gravity; hopefully it isn't too basic a question. Also, please excuse the crudeness of my descriptions.

Am I right in saying that there are 4 main "forces" in the universe; the weak & strong atomic forces; electromagnetism; and gravity? Am I also right in saying that the weak and strong atomic force, as well as electromagnetism, are seen to be, in some resepct at least, manifestations of the same force?

I'm just wondering is gravity seen as a manifestation of this same force?

Physics news on Phys.org
mangaroosh said:
Am I right in saying that there are 4 main "forces" in the universe;

Yes, there are 4 fundamental interactions.

mangaroosh said:
Am I also right in saying that the weak and strong atomic force, as well as electromagnetism, are seen to be, in some resepct at least, manifestations of the same force?

Yes, it's the GUT force (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Unified_Theory)

mangaroosh said:
I'm just wondering is gravity seen as a manifestation of this same force?

No, gravity is not included into GUT. Scientists hope that GUT and gravity are manifestations of a common interaction but the so called theory of everything is still under construction.

DrStupid said:
Yes, there are 4 fundamental interactions.

Yes, it's the GUT force (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Unified_Theory)

No, gravity is not included into GUT. Scientists hope that GUT and gravity are manifestations of a common interaction but the so called theory of everything is still under construction.

cheers for that. I was familiar with GUT alright, but wasn't aware of whether gravity was seen, or even hoped to be, a manifestation of a common interaction; it seems pretty logical that it is - although I know that is not how science works!

is the theory of everything the attempt to unify Quantum Mechanics and Relativity?

Is gravity seen as being an electromagnetic force according to relativity?

mangaroosh said:
cheers for that. I was familiar with GUT alright, but wasn't aware of whether gravity was seen, or even hoped to be, a manifestation of a common interaction; it seems pretty logical that it is - although I know that is not how science works!

is the theory of everything the attempt to unify Quantum Mechanics and Relativity?

Yes!

mangaroosh said:

No!
:biggrin:

cheers cepheid & dr.stupid.

how is gravity seen according to relativity?

I know the analogy of the bowling ball on the rubber sheet, but is there a reason why it isn't seen as a manifestation of the same force?

mangaroosh said:

Nope. In Relativity gravity is a consequence of spacetime geometry. In this respect it is quite different from the other forces which are mediated by the exchange of particles (quantum theory).

This is one of the reasons why trying to unify quantum theory with General Relativity into a Grand Unified Theory is such a difficult problem.

General Relativity (GR) describes gravity not as a force, but rather as a result of the curvature of spacetime. The idea in GR is that mass/energy curves spacetime, and the curvature of spacetime tells objects how to move. So, freely-falling objects, which classically we refer to as "accelerating" under the influence of some "force" are, in fact, just following the most direct path through spacetime that they can. These paths that the particles "naturally" follow are referred to as geodesics.

To my mind, this seems to set gravity apart as being fundamentally different from the other three interactions, all of which seem to be explained in particle physics as being mediated by other particles that get exchanged between the two particles that are doing the interacting. However, I admit that my knowledge of particle physics is lacking.

In situations/regimes where both quantum mechanics and general relativity are applicable (such as in a black hole, or in the very early universe), physics tends to break down, and these two theories become irreconcilable or mutually inconsistent. We need a quantum theory of gravity that unifies or what general relativity says about gravity with what quantum theory says about the rest of the fundamental interactions in nature. That's my understanding of the situation.

EDIT: beaten by gneill! At least we are saying the same thing. That is always a good sign...

cepheid;3531778. So said:
Something that has always puzzled me about this is that there seem to be many different geodesics "in operation" at once, like spacetime is curved in mutiple ways at any given location. E.g., the Earth is following a geodesic around the sun, the moon is following another around the Earth, and if I fall off a cliff, I'll follow still another. Or I throw a handfull of pebbles, each will apparently follow its own geodesic to the ground. So it's like there are an infinite number of geodesics hanging around, just waiting to guide a free fall. Anyone want to help me get my mind around this?

Related to Understanding Gravity: Exploring its Relationship to Other Fundamental Forces

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force that exists between objects with mass. It is the force that pulls objects towards each other. This force is described by the theory of general relativity, which states that objects with mass create a curvature in the fabric of spacetime, and this curvature causes objects to move towards each other.

2. How does gravity relate to other fundamental forces?

Gravity is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force. While the other three forces operate on a microscopic level, gravity is the only force that affects objects on a macroscopic level. It is also the weakest of the four forces, but it has an infinite range.

3. What is the role of gravity in the formation of the universe?

According to the Big Bang theory, the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature. As the universe expanded, gravity caused matter to clump together and form stars, galaxies, and eventually planets. Without gravity, the universe would have remained a hot, dense soup of particles.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards each other. The strength of the gravitational force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. For example, the gravitational force between the Earth and the Moon keeps the Moon in orbit around the Earth. On a larger scale, the gravitational force between the Sun and planets keeps the planets in their orbits.

5. Can gravity be explained by a single theory?

Currently, there is no single theory that fully explains gravity. The theory of general relativity explains gravity on a large scale, but it does not fully reconcile with the theory of quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. Scientists are still working on a theory of quantum gravity that can explain gravity at all scales.