Understanding 'Kronecker Delta' in Feynman's Vol. 3 Lectures on Physics

In summary, the book sets states 1 and 2 as base states, and states 1 and 2 can have different probabilities of transformation.
maser
It is better for you to have studied "Feynman lectures on Physics Vol.3", because I cannot distinguish whether the words or expressions are what Feynman uses only or not and in order to summarize my questions here, I have to just quote the contents of the book.

However, one thing I notice is that "base state" that Feynman explains seems to be "basic orthonomal state vector"...

With a pair of hamiltonian matrix equation

[itex]i\hbar \frac{d{C}_{1}}{dt} = {H}_{11}{C}_{1} + {H}_{12}{C}_{2}[/itex]
[itex]i\hbar \frac{d{C}_{2}}{dt} = {H}_{21}{C}_{1} + {H}_{22}{C}_{2}[/itex]

where [itex]{C}_{x} = <x|\psi>[/itex] , [itex]\psi =[/itex] arbitrary state, the book set the states 1 and 2 as "base states". There are only two base states for some particle. Base states have a condition - [itex]<i|j> = {\delta}_{ij}[/itex].

I think the "kronecker delta" means that once the particle is in the state of j, we will not be able to find the state i, so if we suppose all the components of hamiltonian are constant, we can say [itex]{H}_{12}[/itex]and[itex]{H}_{21}[/itex] should be zero. .....(1)

However the book says that states 1 and 2 are base states and [itex]{H}_{12}[/itex]and[itex]{H}_{21}[/itex] can be nonzero at the same time (if you have the book, refer equ. (9.2) and (9.3) and page 9-3.). There can be probability to transform from state 1 to state 2 and vice versa...

Then, the relationship that I think like (1) between the "Kronecker delta" and the components of hamiltonian is not correct at all??

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the "kronecker delta" means that once the particle is in the state of j, we will not be able to find the state i, so if we suppose all the components of hamiltonian are constant, we can say [itex]{H}_{12}[/itex]and[itex]{H}_{21}[/itex] should be zero. .....(1)

Hi,

You seem to identify [itex]H_{ij}[/itex] and [itex]<i|j>[/itex] (i and j being base states), but these are not the same things. [itex]<i|j> = \delta_{ij}[/itex] is the amplitude to find something in state i when it is known to be in state j, either at the same time or in circumstances where states are not changing. On the other hand, [itex]H_{ij}[/itex] has different units; It is a derivative (in the calculus sense), proportional to the amplitude per unit time for something in base state i to change into base state j, under circumstances where states can vary with time (the constant of proportionality being [itex]i\hbar[/itex]).

[itex]H_{ij}[/itex] is related to the amplitude [itex]<i|U(t + \Delta t,t)|j>[/itex] where U is the "waiting" operator discussed in section III:8-4. In the limit as [itex]\Delta t[/itex] goes to 0, [itex]<i|U(t + \Delta t,t)|j> = <i|j> = \delta_{ij}[/itex] . The precise relationship between operators U and H as expressed in Eq. (8.37) is

[itex]U_{ij}(t + \Delta t,t) = \delta_{ij} - (i/\hbar) H_{ij}(t) \Delta t,[/itex]​

which can be rewritten

[itex]H_{ij}(t) = i\hbar(U_{ij}(t + \Delta t,t)-U_{ij}(t,t)) / \Delta t.[/itex]​

Last edited:

codelieb said:
[itex]<i|j> = \delta_{ij}[/itex] is the amplitude to find something in state i when it is known to be in state j, either at the same time or in circumstances where states are not changing.

Oh, "find something at the same time" - what I want to know exactly! I have just thought classically that a particle known to be in state A cannot be B simultaneously (improper word...) ignoring the true meaning of probability amplitudes.

I appreciate your answer.

1. What is the Kronecker Delta symbol?

The Kronecker Delta symbol, denoted as Δ, is a mathematical notation used to represent the Kronecker delta function. It is named after German mathematician Leopold Kronecker, who introduced the function in the 19th century.

2. What is the purpose of the Kronecker Delta function?

The Kronecker delta function is used to express the equality or inequality of two values. It takes on a value of 1 if the two values are equal, and 0 if they are not. This function is particularly useful in mathematical and physical equations, as it allows for the simplification of complex expressions.

3. How is the Kronecker Delta function used in Feynman's Vol. 3 Lectures on Physics?

In his lectures, Feynman uses the Kronecker Delta function to represent the discrete nature of physical quantities. This is because the function can only take on values of 0 or 1, which is similar to the discrete nature of particles in quantum mechanics. He also uses it to simplify equations and make them more manageable to solve.

4. Can the Kronecker Delta function be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the Kronecker Delta function has applications in various fields of science, including physics, mathematics, engineering, and computer science. It is commonly used in probability and statistics to represent events as either mutually exclusive (1) or not (0). It is also used in signal processing and image processing to identify specific patterns or features.

5. Are there any limitations or caveats to using the Kronecker Delta function?

One limitation of the Kronecker Delta function is that it can only take on discrete values of 0 or 1. This makes it unsuitable for representing continuous quantities or phenomena. Additionally, it is important to note that the function is only defined when the two values being compared are in the same space or dimension.